CHAPTER 46

At 10 pm the whole house started to quiet down as my family got ready for bed. I hurried downstairs to say goodbye. After all, this would be my last time seeing them for a while. Me and Grace were sneaking out. Tonight. Who knew when we'd be back. 

"hey" I said, entering my parents room, which was on the main floor. 

"James, last time you came to say goodnight, you were six or seven..." My mom smiled. She had on her reading glasses.

"yeah... uh. I'm leaving soon, you know, college. I just want to savor these moments." 

"well" My Dad grinned. "We're going to miss you"

"Love you, goodnight" I smiled sadly.

"Goodnight, James" My Mom sighed.

I ran back upstairs to my room. I was all packed. I had taken all the stuff I'd need out of my boxes and into a duffle bag that sat on my bed. It felt weird to leave, but I was ready.

I knocked on Katie's door.

"Come in!" 

"Hey" I smiled, swinging the door open. Katie sat on her pink sheets, holding Fish the hamster. I slowly closed her bedroom door behind me. 

"Hi james"

"I need to tell you a secret, okay?" I knelt next to her bed.

"okay"

"You can't tell Mom, or Dad or anyone until I say you can"

"okay" She started to get excited.

"I'm leaving. With Grace. Tonight. We're going somewhere far away to get away from her parents."

"really?" Katie's eyes went wide.

"Yeah. I'm not going to go to college, either. So heres the deal." I sighed. "I got a new phone number so no one could reach me. I'm going to give it to you, okay? I'll call you every night, or text you. Just put my contact as a girls name or something so they don't find out"

"really?" She gasped. "does Mom have the number?"

"no. I'm only giving it to you. Don't tell anyone where we went, just tell Mom and Dad that I'm safe, okay?"

"okay, I will"

"I love you, lets get to bed. I'm not going to be here when you wake up." I gave her a weak smile.

She quickly put Fish back in his cadge.

"Here" I reached down and grabbed a teddy bear that I had when I was younger. She had always wanted to play with it but I never let her. I handed the bear to her. "Keep him, okay?"

She nodded and leapt into my arms, wrapping me in a hug.

"I'll see you soon, Kate" I messed up her hair and left her in her bed, hugging my old bear tightly. I flicked off the lights.

"Goodnight, James" She whispered and I closed the door. 

Now I had three hours to kill