CHAPTER 29

The doorbell rang and I walked quickly to answer it. Grace walked in wearing one of my hoodies.

"Is that mine?"

"yes." She smiled. "Lucky for us, my parents are on a plane to New York right now for one of my Mom's meetings."

"Lucky for us." I smiled, wrapping my arms around her waist. "What do you want to do?"

"We should get food somewhere, and then come back here, and..." She bit her lip.

"Got it." I smiled. "Where should we get food?"

"Literally anywhere, I'm starving." 

"Naturally." I laughed. We got into my car and drove to a market where they had all these food trucks. There was a Taco Truck that smelled too good to resist. We both ordered fish tacos.

It took several minutes for our food to arrive but it was totally worth it. We ate at a small picnic table in the heat of the sun.

"How are your parents?" I asked her. 

"They've gone into denial. They literally won't say you exist." She smiled a bit, looking at her food.

"Well, that's better than yelling at you constantly." I said. "Right?"

Grace nodded. "The other night I was eating at the counter before bed. My Mom asked me why I never say 'I love you' to them anymore." She sighed. "the phrase is so overused, I can't fling it around helplessly or it looses meaning."

"I guess." I shrugged.

"What does 'I guess' mean?" She sipped her soda.

"Well theres two types of saying 'I love you'. Theres the quick, barely thought of 'I love you'. Like when you say 'I love you, but your crazy'. or something like that" I explained. 

"That's true."

"The other type is where you say 'I love you'. You draw it out and you mean it and you look at that person and feel your hearts beat together... and stuff." I smiled.

"Got it." She smiled. "I'm not about to say it, by the way. That'd be cheesy."

"I know." I grinned. "But which would you use?"

"I think you know, Neighbor boy..." She smiled at me. 

I did know. She would use the second one, she always did.