CHAPTER 41

The calls started at 9:15.

First from my parents, desperately trying to reach me as I lay in bed in the hotel room. Grace was sort of asleep, laying down in bed as I watched TV.

"God James, just put your phone on silent." she grumbled, turning over.

"I need to answer."

"No, you don't"

"Yes I do"

"James"

"Grace"

"Don't answer, James"

"They're worried"

"We're leaving"

"What?" 

"We are going out for breakfast to clear your head, come on." She grabbed my hand and kissed my cheek as we headed out the door. She took my phone and set it in her purse. "Don't worry about them, okay? It's about us." 

We ended up eating at a crepe restaurant down the street. I got blueberry crepes and Grace got crepes with whipped creme, strawberries and chocolate drizzle.

"So." I smiled. "What's todays plan?"

"Well after breakfast we can take your car over to Fisherman's Wharf for Lunch.... and then we can spend the afternoon in Ghirardelli Square."

"Sounds good." I took a bite of my food, savoring the taste. 

We paid for the food and left to head to the Wharf. The sun beat down as we talked and shopped. It was an overall great day but there came an ugly reminder of what was to come that night.

I had showered and gotten dressed for bed. I lay next to Grace, falling asleep.

"James?" She muttered.

"Hm?"

"We're going to have to break up in August, right."

I was shocked. 

"Yeah... we will"

"I don't want to."

"Neither do I, Grace."

We waited a moment and I could hear her heart beating in her chest.

"Grace?"

"Hm"

"I love you"

"I love you too." She lifted her head to kiss me for a moment and then laid back down. I fell asleep with her in my arms.

Author's Note:

I just hit 800! Thank you all so much, loves! I appreciate all of you who read, vote and comment on each chapter! Thank you so much, I'm so close to reaching 1K, thank you all so much and keep reading. Love you all.

-Rayna