CHAPTER 19

The next few days consisted of conversations via notecards through the windows. Her parents monitored everything she did, and though it made things complicated, we managed.

We never discussed the... event  that had occurred at my house, and neither of our parents had found out.  

One Saturday morning I woke to an unfamiliar sound... the patter of rain on the roof. We were up closer to Oregon, in the northern parts of California, not in the drier part of the sate, but rain was still rare. I got out of bed and opened my window. The air was still humid but smelled like perspiration. The sky was cloudy and wind blew slightly. 

"James!" Katie knocked on my door. She swung the door opened and walked into my room. "It's raining!"

"Yeah." I smiled. 

"Mom and Dad said we could drive to Great Wolf Lodge! They said whats better than an indoor waterpark on a rainy day!" She screamed. "Can we go? Can we go?" 

"Let me ask, okay." I went downstairs to see my parents in the living room watching the news, my Dad on his laptop.

"Katie said we could go to the waterpark?" I said. "Could we do like a road trip?" My parents looked at each other.

"James we've been giving you a lot of freedom lately. With college coming up and your writing we think you need some room to grow. You shouldn't be checking with us as much. Your on a good path, son." My Dad smiled. "If you want to go, take Katie and go." 

"Seriously?" I asked.

"You should call Grace and ask her." My mom smiled. "Your father got a bonus at work, you can even stay a night." 

"You guys are the best!" I laughed, heading upstairs. "Pack your bags, Katie. We're staying a night." I called. 

Katie ran to her room and I called up Grace.

"Do you want to come to Great Wolf Lodge with us? An all expense paid trip?" I asked her while packing.

"Seriously? That sounds awesome!" She said through the phone.

"Yeah, plus Katie's going so that might help your case with your parents." I said.

"Okay, I'll ask them." Grace said quickly. "You're literally the best James." She said.

I was finished packing when I got a text from Grace. 

Grace: I can go. I'll be ready in 30

James: :)

In about 45 minutes Grace walked over to our house carrying a duffle bag. We threw everything in the trunk of my car  and got in. Grace sat next to me in the front and Katie had the whole backseat. 

My parents had called in and made reservations at the hotel and Mom had given me a debit card. I still couldn't believe it, not only my parents, but how had Grace convinced hers. 

"Wait, before we get on the freeway, can we get starbucks?" Katie asked. I was about to say no but then I spotted the debit card Mom gave me in the cupholder. 

I had one hand on the wheel and one holding Grace's hand. I smiled and said, "Why not."