Quattro

"Hibari-san." Inoue called out, peeking through the paper door, seeing Hibari not engaged in combat but sitting down with a cup of tea, wearing a kinagashi of all things. She noticed Kusakabe there too, probably reporting something that Inoue had just interrupted. 

Hibari looked pretty 'happy' to see her as he glanced at a cushion across from him, probably where she was supposed to sit. So she did, apologising to Kusakabe on the way, who brushed it aside and left the two alone.

He sat pretty relaxed, hands in his sleeves and his eyes shut, waiting for her to ask the question he'd expected she'd end up asking. 

"How did I die?" She came straight out and said it, her shy factor always disappearing in serious times. 

He sighed.

Pen hit torn and stained paper messily, crossing out words and writing bigger ones, a yellow bird chirped quietly from the woman's shoulder, she winced as her leg began to burn, the bullet she'd been shot with earlier embedded deep in her thigh. 

Hearing a scurry of footsteps and shouting, she tried finishing her note but it just came out as a mess of lines. Clicking her tongue, she rolled it up and passed it to Hibird on her shoulder in a hurry, knowing her followers were getting closer. 

"Hibird go! Deliver this to Kyoya as fast as you can!" She pleaded, watching with distressed eyes as Hibird set off into the air with the bloodstained letter containing only eight legible words. 

She stood, gritting her teeth, and began to run in the opposite direction from her pursuers. 

She managed to hold them off with her box weapon and melee skills for around half an hour, her box weapon being a cute white bunny. Her flame wasn't suited for battle, the same for her, she specialised in undercover missions and information gathering, infiltrating the enemy even. Which is how she got into this situation. She tried using her mist flames to send them off her tail, it worked somewhat but they always found her again, it was no use even with a stampede of bunnies and her illusionary powers. She was no Rokudo Mukuro after all.

But she realised after running just a little longer, that the woods had quieted down. She came into an open clearing and collapsed in a soaked heap, she wasn't sure when it had started raining, but it helped aide in her escape, it didn't help her bloodloss though. 

She was growing a little lightheaded, knowing she couldn't run any longer from them. 

It was then she heard a panicked and somewhat relieved voice call her name. She turned only to see him standing there, not panting or exhausted, but he looked worried and conflicted, his anger was buried beneath that after seeing her condition. 

She didn't even notice Hibird circling above her, it was likely how he ended up finding her. 

"Kyoya!" She exclaimed, in a rush to tell him what she found out, it could very well change the outcome of this war, it was that important, but just as she was panicking to tell him, rushing over the information in her head and limping over to him, she felt something pierce her chest, a sharp scalding feeling following after.

"MAI!"

She felt herself falling, with sturdy arms and a familiar warmth greeting her instead of the cold ground. She wanted to cry, knowing that she had about a minute, not even that, left.

"Kyoya..." Describing his face now would be detrimental to his image, she'd never seen so much raw emotion, sadness and weakness in his eyes, on his face before. She wasn't happy though, they were all negative feelings, she could tell, it made her slowing heart clench. "Don't cry."