Cinquantaquattro

"I doubt you'll be able to find anywhere to eat your precious mapo tofu at this kind of time." Mukuro teased. They'd just reached the town where they were staying and where the restaurant was but it was past 11:00. Meaning they had to go and check into their hotel without dinner or even an exploration.

Mai had snacks, it was fine. 

"You did correctly book us in, right?" Mai asked warily. Even if she asked that she wasn't going to be surprised if he booked just the one room. It was almost expected of him at this point.

He smiled, the usual smug and teasing smile, "Of course, I'm not incompetent." 

"When it comes to listening to other people..." Mai muttered under her breath, only causing Mukuro to laugh. Yeah, he only booked one room, the leech. 

Now she stood unimpressed in the hallway of a large room with a double bed. Mukuro was spouting something about a bath big enough for the two of them, which she blocked out completely. Resigning to fate, she started to unpack the things she needed too from her tiny little suitcase; change of clothes for the next day, a jacket, some toiletries, nothing special. She should have packed a futon though, with hindsight she would've. 

As much as she tried to ignore Mukuro's gibberish, which was easier when his voice was muffled and in a separate room, it was hard to do so when he was standing right behind her watching her sort out her clothes. 

"Um..." 

"I suppose you didn't pick these out yourself?" As she was dreading, the perverse pineapple was holding up a pair of her frilliest and laciest underwear... She didn't pick them out it was Bianchi but they were really comfortable!

"Sto-!... D-Don't t-touch those!!" Mai's shrill voice laced with panic echoed throughout the room as she tried to grab them back, only to have them pulled away from her. 

"Hm~? I must say I never thought you would wear something so eye catching." He smirked and purred the words into her ear, immediately turning her face into a bright crimson.

"Tha-that's because they aren't meant to be seen!!" Mai stuttered back, jumping up to try and reach his hand that she'd never manage to get to unless he wanted her to. 

His demeaning and kind of predator-like look turned into one of amusement as he chuckled at her, genuinely 'happy', "I'm joking." He threw them back into her case before turning and yawning, "I'll be going to bed first then, I doubt you'd be able to sleep with me watching you after all." 

No, she wouldn't be able to sleep at all. 

When she woke up the next morning in bed, yes, she actually braved it, she was ecstatic to know that she wasn't pressed up against any chest, wrapped in any arms, feet or legs touching anyone else's, or having someone staring at her or something. Mukuro was still sleeping, granted, it was around 7:00 in the morning; knowing him he probably woke up at noon. 

She got up quietly, which was unnecessary since she was quiet normally, and went to have a shower and get dressed. 

After which she found Mukuro awake, sitting up in bed and watching her exit the bathroom. He had only one thing to say.

"You aren't wearing them today, are you?"

He was kicked into the bathroom.

"We're going sightseeing?" Mukuro grimaced as Mai lead them down streets and up roads, he apparently thought she was just here to eat mapo tofu. Of course she was going to take a look around, this was a holiday after all. 

"You don't want to? We can go back to Namimori this evening then, I suppose..." Mai frowned, only because she really wanted to go to a famous temple in the mountains. She wasn't trying to coax Mukuro into staying with her or anything like prolonging their holiday or whatever, not at all. 

Just the thought of facing that wild animal she kept as a boyfriend was enough to repel him, "On second thought a holiday with you doesn't sound that bad." And considering they'll be free from all that annoying mafia business, the people after his life were increasing and getting more annoying and tenacious, this was a much nicer option. In fact there was actually an army at Kokuyo the other day; the sound of gunshots isn't what he likes being woken up to. 

"Are you hungry? I don't know when you last ate but it's been a while, right?" Mai smiled up at him, slightly tugging on the sleeve of his jacket while pointing to a steamed bun stand with her other hand. 

"Food?" As he thought about it, it had been a long time since he'd had something substantial. No, really anything at all. He wasn't one with a big appetite. He saw eating as a chore, a waste when you only get hungry again later. "It's fine, I suppose." 

Mai only giggled under her breath at his indifferent tone. She tugged him over to the stand where she bought them a bag of the steamed buns, a total of two each just in case. 

Mukuro ate them with a straight face not showing any signs of liking or disliking them while Mai was an open book. She was rocking to the side while savouring the taste. As she thought, Chinese buns were the slightest bit different to what she was used to and she loved it.

Although for some reason she thought she'd eaten these somewhere before...

"Was it nice?" 

"It wasn't disgusting. Other than that, can we get the exploring and sightseeing over and done with?" He really didn't want to trek up that mountain, why can't they just go back to the hotel and do stuff there? Probably because she had a boyfriend. 

"-Sorry, I'll only drag you with me to the temple." Mai smiled apologetically, only making Mukuro want to go with her instead. So he sighed 'annoyed' and grabbed her wrist, this time dragging her up the mountain instead of vice versa. 

"I...didn't mean...that literally..." Mai panted as she knelt on the top stair of the entranceway. Mukuro wasn't breaking much of a sweat somehow, it really was peculiar. He was probably going to say something derogatory and insulting but kept it to himself. 

"It would have taken all day if you were leading." He had a point, she didn't have the stamina reserve of a crazy beast - that an illusionist also shouldn't have but does for some reason. 

Mai, momentarily recovering from her heavy breathing and empty lungs, then stood up and grinned cheerfully; despite being drenched in sweat and looking devilishly attractive; "Then, let's get going. There's still the mapo tofu for later." Mukuro was not looking forward to mapo tofu, not one bit.

But her smiles were really something else, no wonder that prefect monopolised her.

Well, now he had her within an arms width.

Author's Note:

First of all, Happy birthday. hapii baasudee to be cringy and add a lil change a spin.

Second, my excuse is that Mukuro is Italian. In my Mukuro stories he's less of a flirt but in this he's full on shameless huh... Don't get me wrong though, this kind of interaction is just banter between friends - he doesn't actually love her, though he admits she's not incorrigible.

Yes friends. Just Mukuro's a creep more than usual here.
im so sorry.