Quaranta

Valentine's day wasn't a generally celebrated occasion in Hibari's house; Mai didn't care, the most she went was a chocolate themed dessert, and Hibari couldn't care less... so they never really did anything. 

Until high school came into the picture. Mai's friend was still stirring up trouble, forcing the poor girl to make some chocolates for Hibari. Her excuse was because it was the first year; in other words, the school, the girls at least, hadn't been subjected to the full terror of Hibari's wrath yet. So, he should be expecting piles of chocolate in his locker; because girls seem to only care about attractive faces. Mai really doubted he'd actually eat them, but was coerced. 

Hibari wasn't looking forward to the crowding that was Valentine's, it turned his mood sour and it was just an overall annoying day. Mai never bothered making him anything either, he'd only find chocolates from 'fearless' girls piled up in his locker. These girls who he's never even heard of or seen before, they probably ran away just like the rest. 

He never bothered reading the cards or eating the chocolate, they were all taken care of by Kusakabe, burned as he wished. 

But lately Mai has been out more with that otaku doing God knows what. He'd been a little looser when it came to curfew and leaving his sight, since she was technically old enough to care for herself. But it was only since he'd had every record of her being associated with him annihilated, and all of the ones that spring up. For her safety, that creep Byakuran helped a little in that; and as much as Hibari didn't want to, he left it to the Mare sky to take care of it. 

So she wasn't targeted anymore, and it was already obvious she was under his protection, so he was lenient. 

With Mai, she was making works of art, with her friend, who I'm going to name because 'she' and 'idiot otaku' isn't working anymore, Yuu, making sloppy messes that looked like turds. 

She said it was abstract. 

"I don't know if Kyoya will like this, he's never been much of a sweets person..." Not that she's known him forever, but she's only ever seen him eat a single slice of cake -sometimes not even finishing- before complaining that it left a gross sugary taste in his mouth. He preferred spicy food to sweet. Similarly with Mai, she had a crazy strong tongue, being able to withstand some of the spiciest meals. 

Her favourite food was actually just steamed buns though. Plain food will always prevail. 

"Maa, if it's from you, he'd eat anything." Yuu brushed the negativity aside, banging her rock hard chocolate on the counter; why was hers like bedrock and Mai's so perfect? They were made from the same mix and cooked for the same time!? Was this a talent? Cocoa-steel.

"I'm not sure he'd go that far." Mai sighed, tasting her chocolate and turning into extreme OCD mode, "Too much sugar."

Yuu couldn't distinguish the difference between salt and sugar, what was the problem here?

Mai had just about tied the ribbon on her blue box when the front door, probably, flew off it's hinges and slammed into the opposite wall of the hallway. She quickly hid the chocolate in the fridge before taking a look outside and realising how dark it was. By the way, Yuu was passed out on the sofa from food poisoning. She had a chipped tooth too. 

Just as she was about to rush out, somehow forgetting about the front door being beamed at a wall, the kitchen door exploded too. Dust flew up everywhere, obscuring her vision, but she could faintly make out a familiar silhouette in the mess. 

"K-Kyoya!?" 

"You're late." For some reason, she couldn't find it in herself to sweatdrop at his deadly serious voice. Maybe to other people this would be annoyingly overprotective, but she found it strangely endearing.