Cinquanta

About two weeks had passed since Hibari found her asleep in his room that day. It had been one week since she'd heard from her family. This was a little strange since usually her mother rang at stupid and random times just to check up on her, while her brother never called or texted her unless it was something from her mother - or she messaged first. She did get texts from her mother regularly however. 

They suddenly stopped one day.

Mai was convinced they suddenly booked a holiday somewhere and were enjoying the summer rays of Spain or something annoying like that. Making her worry like this... Of course, they could be prisoners of this unnamed family but...

What are the chances, c'mon.

Even though there was the annoyance of her family vanishing, there's one thing she's always wanted to do. And her incorrigible family reminded her of it. Was she allowed to be selfish? Even in this time of conflict when Tsuna is facing over ten assassins each day? Hibari wouldn't mind even though she'd never actually tell him.

So she tried to contact Chrome.

"Chrome-chan?" Mai greeted over the phone, more like communicator. They weren't allowed to have important calls over the phone anymore in case they're being tapped into and listened in on.

"Inoue-san?" Chrome's quiet voice answered back, likely a little confused as to why Mai of all people is contacting her.

"Right. Do you know where Mukuro-san is?" Mai smiled, not that Chrome could see. The line was quiet for a while, Mai was okay with that, letting the girl take in what she'd just said. It wasn't for normal reasons that anyone would ask for Mukuro. Although knowing Mai she could just be wondering what his favourite colour or food is.

"He's here." She muttered back after a couple of minutes; Mai could hear a little shuffling and some voices before a different voice rang out from the other side.

"You rarely ever ask for me, finally decide to leave that skylark?" As insulting a tone as she remembered.

"No, sorry. I just need to tell you something, I'd prefer it be in person... It's really important and I can't let anyone but you know." Mai explained, voice taking a serious tone. This had Mukuro interested and also had him stop hitting on her.

"Then come to Kokuyo, I'll be waiting." He hung up before she could arrange a time so what better than now?

Without telling Hibari or Kusakabe she snuck out of the house and hurried to Kokuyo, avoiding the suspicious men in suits that were loitering around Namimori; that were subjected to regular beatings by the disciplinary committee.

When she arrived at Kokuyo Chrome was there waiting for her. Mai sure hoped he wasn't planning on making Chrome wait there until she came along -what if she waited for tomorrow!? He was good at reading people so it might have been obvious she was going to come immediately. Exchanging smiles, Chrome lead the taller girl into the building and navigated through debris filled hallways until they entered a large and empty room. Mukuro was clearly seated on the sofa up on the stage waiting for them, did he have to look like a final boss? Chrome left as soon as Mai entered the room. Hopefully this person wouldn't try and stop her.

"When you said important I thought it would be some kind of infiltration mission into the enemy ranks." Mukuro sighed, a confused frown playing at his lips as he stared at Mai, who was fidgeting around awkwardly, "But you..." He burst out laughing. Mai blew up into a red mess, she kneeled down and hid her face away embarrassed, "You... Come here, during this kind of mess, asking to be taken to China?" He was definitely holding in laughter.

"Y-yes..."

"Why is it me you're asking?" Now he seemed genuinely interested. She could have asked Fon, someone actually from China, or even Hibari - who would probably go with her. I mean, she wasn't going to stay for long but Hibari would get antsy over being away from Namimori and then want to leave immediately after landing.

It was just going to be a day trip for her, as much as a journey to China isn't a day trip.

"Because you seem to be able, you managed to get to France no problem. And - sorry to say this - you aren't the most financially well off person." That was putting it lightly. He was broke, no money, zero. The only money he got was an allowance each week that was spent up in a day, he didn't even know where from, the Vongola? Some other family? The council? Who knows. He'd long forgotten the pin to his old account that MM desired so much.
So technically he wasn't broke for a day a week but affording a plane, yeah that was impossible.

"Kufufu... I suppose you're right." Although he was smiling he didn't seem to be really smiling. Mai could see the struggle, she wondered how they all lived like that... She should really do something for these people like cook balanced meals for them and clean this cockroach infested building... That'll be her objective when she gets back. "Why do you want to go to China in the first place?"

"Mapo tofu."

He didn't know what he should have expected.

Mai suddenly felt really guilty, she'll have to tell Hibari that no matter what happens, if she disappears, it's for a good reason. That's all well and good but she needed to consider that there is currently a small scale conflict happening with the Vongola. The amount of conspiracies... well it'll make her journey more cool if it were 'kidnapped by the enemy, super cool escape using her super cool illusion powers' or something other than 'made Mukuro take her to China so she could eat mapo tofu and visit a couple landmarks...'

She thought Hibari would be more annoyed she took Mukuro rather than her suddenly departing for China.

The explanation later on will be horrific.

Hibari sneezed, for some reason he got the urge to go and fight Mukuro and lock Mai up for a few days. He'd never actually lock her up of course, furthest he got was not letting go of her for about an hour. Maybe he should handcuff her to himself...

He didn't have concrete evidence to condone such a thing though.

Hold on, where was she right now?

Author's note:

ahaha oh my. 

13 chapters left I think.

In other news guess who is incapable of writing for Mukuro now and instead it's all Hibari again... what is wrong with my mind, it never stays on one focal point. Ah yeah it's me. I have two Hibari stories I'm writing now and one of them is good enough to publish as is but it's unfinished without a clear goal....

I think it's just drabble tbhh

Please do comment if you want me to publish it since I'll probably be more motivated to write more if there's pressure on me ahaha i love to torture myself don't i

tbh i have no clue where this is going it's just dribble theres no exciting new arc its just utter bull. So enjoy.