Chapter One

*Edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 1– A scratch for a dent:

        The room is cold when I wake up, yet sweat still pools around my collarbone and drips down my temple. I can feel my heart beating frantically in my chest, skipping a few beats here and there as I grip the covers. My hands shake against my will and my vision won't clear up no matter how many times I blink away the blurriness that lingers. Rey's head that had been resting against my chest slides down to my lap when I jolt upwards. He perks up at the sudden movement, confused as he watches me with a tilted head.

        "Just a nightmare," I tell him with an eye roll as if he's able to understand me, and I think after the many times I've told him the same thing, he is.

        Deja de seguirme.

        I shake my head and rub my temples, trying to rid the voices that shout at me in my mind. My head is still pounding and my vision still blurred.

        !Vete!

Nos vas a matar.

        I decide to take a shower despite the lack of body wash and shampoo in the bathroom. The water is cold and refreshing, washing away the remnants of last night's dream as I step underneath the shower head. Rey lays down on the closed toilet seat as he waits for me. I never really understood why he did that, but that fucking dog is always under my fucking feet and hindering my life, so I don't really question it.

I get dressed into the minimal amount of clothing I had managed to bring with me, pairing a simple, dark outfit together. I'm not looking forward to the shopping trip I have planned today one bit. So my plan is to be in and out as quickly as possible, only buying the essentials. I hate civilisation, can't stand people.

I hate humans. I hate animals too... and plants. Come to think of it, I hate everyone and everything— but I hate humans the most. They're assholes, the lot of them. Fucking idiots. Abominations. The last thing I want to do is interact with any of them. If I didn't need to go, I wouldn't. I'd be good with going without food for a few days, however other essentials are necessary and Rey needs food. I don't know how much longer I can listen to him whining and whimpering.

I clip a black choker around my neck as I stomp down the stairs, the jewellery tight enough to stay in place but not too tight to the point it's uncomfortable. Once I'm by the front door, I quickly shrug on a jacket and slip on a pair of boots. Rey is already behind me when I turn around to call him, his lead dangling from his mouth. I raise an eyebrow and shake my head, picking him up as I head to the car.

I'm surprised by the amount of people who are already awake, seeing as it's early in the morning on a Sunday. A few people gaze at my car curiously as I drive past, staring at the retreating vehicle until it's disappeared from their sight. I'm not sure whether they were looking at the out of date car or the person driving it, but I honestly don't give a fuck. They're bound to find out I'm new in town sooner or later.

I pull into the parking lot of the grocery store and park in an empty space by the front of the shop, next to another free space and a railing. It's one of the only two free spots that's closest to the stores entrance so it's the one I take.

  "Come on, mutt," I gesture for Rey to follow me as I tug on his lead. I don't know what the policy is for bringing pets into the store, but I'm not about to leave him in my car so he could chew the seats and piss on the floor. I'm also not stupid enough to leave him outside, therefore he's coming with me no matter what the fucking rules are about animals inside the shop.