Chapter Fifty-Two

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 52– You drive me insane:

        I never really pictured Dakota as.... Well, I'd never really pictured Dakota at all. Sometimes he'd flash through my mind, but only briefly. However, if I were to picture him, it would not be as somebody who gets into relationships. Gross. And not with someone like her.

        Zoe.

        Another name that bugs me.

Lilah caught me up on how Zoe and Dakota know each other. Zoe is in the grade above ours. Her and Dakota were in a long-term relationship until they broke up last summer before she left for college. They were "serious"— a term, that in my opinion, is a weird way to describe a relationship— and apparently Dakota was pretty broken up about the inevitable ending of their relationship. From what Lilah and the boys know, they didn't end on good terms, but Dakota refused to elaborate and didn't speak about her even after she'd left.

The reason as to why she's back is unclear, but her family still resides in the town next to Raven Hollow, so she's most likely just visiting them.

I don't know why, but I hope she fucks off soon.

"Do you think they'll ever stop arguing?" Zeke speaks up from his position on the floor in front of the log we're all sitting on. It didn't fit us all, so Zeke gave up his seat for Lilah and refused to take up Landon's offer when the brooding dark-haired boy offered freckles his spot.

"Your guess is as good as mine," Lilah's voice comes out muffled as she partially covers her mouth with the hand that she rests one side of her face on. She's slouching forward in boredom as she watches the couple continue to bicker back and forth. It's really not been that long, literally two minutes since we came to sit down, but they have a tendency to be dramatic and over-exaggerate.

"I'm going to get a beer. Coming Zeke?" Landon pushes himself up to a stand and shoves his hands in his jean pockets. Zeke eagerly stands as well and I watch as they make their way over to get a drink.

I heave a heavy sigh and continue to observe Dakota, for no other reason than I have nothing better to do. Lilah distracts herself with her phone as she scrolls through some social media app and occasionally types away as she sends the odd message.

        I don't get the point in all of the social media platforms. We have texts and calls and that's all we could possibly need. Or so one would think. But of course, humans have to be greedy and complicate things.

        Obviously, I don't have any of those pointless apps. None of this bookface and snaptalk. Not only do I find it highly fucking irrelevant, I also can't risk anybody from the facility finding out where I am. I'm not stupid enough to give my location and identity away for a handful of stalkers, or followers— or whatever the fuck people call them.

Shaking my head, I go back to paying attention to something that has absolutely fuck all to do with me, noticing Dakota's demeanour has changed. I quickly come to the realisation that he's getting ready to walk away— his and Zoe's hostile discussion coming to an end— and I perk up, a bit more interested now.

My eyes watch him leave when he eventually decides to walk away.

Admittedly, I do debate following after him but settle against it. I'm not that interested in what's going on.