Chapter Thirty-Five

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 35- Have fun, guys:

"- you cannot tell anyone about this, okay?" Landon's dark brown eyes bore into mine, voice dead serious. Who the fuck does he think I'm going to tell? The world and its friend? Noticing my lack of agreement, he continues. "If anyone finds out about this, Kody, especially Dakota, we're in serious trouble. I'm not kidding."

I shoot him a bored look, "I'm not going to tell any—."

"Kody? Landon? What are you two doing?"

Landon jumps slightly at Zeke's voice as he appears in the opening of the gap, his freckled baby-face confused and suspicious. His eyebrows are furrowed, head tilted with his tongue peeking out the side of his mouth like a dog.

Taking a step away from me, back hitting the side of the stand behind him, Landon turns to face Zeke as he stutters out nervously, "N-nothing," before clearing his throat. "We were just... talking."

If I could smack the shit out of him, I would. I have heard of bad liars, but bad truthers? Not a fucking thing.

How could someone make honesty sound so much like a fucking lie?

        "About?" Zeke folds his arms and raises an eyebrow, gaze drifting between the both of us accusingly as he straightens up.

"Who are you talking to?"

I hear her squeaky, annoying voice before I see her red hair and ugly, pink jumpsuit. She comes to her friend's side, looking at him questioningly, before following his stare.

Her hazel eyes widen. "Landon? Kody? What are you two doing there?"

"Nothing," Landon answers, this time without stuttering. He shifts on his feet and tousles his hair as he breathes out a loud breath. "I just needed to talk to Kody." He sounds more honest this time, not as suspicious, however he's still a little skittish.

"About?" Lilah queries, less accusingly than Zeke, but still weary.

"What are you both looking at?" You've got to be fucking kidding me. "Kody? Landon? What are you two—"

"Nothing!" Landon snaps, both arms going up in exasperation as he cuts Dakota off who appears on the other side of Lilah. "It's none of your fucking business. Just shut up."

Silence.

"Alright, schizo, calm down," Lilah mumbles quietly, eyes wide as she avoids eye contact, paying more attention to the cookie wrapper on the floor by Landon's foot than anything else.

I stand and watch the awkward encounter in silence, wanting to tell them to fuck off, but also not wanting to say a word in case they remember I'm still here and start to question me.

"Shut the fuck up, Lilah," Landon curses under his breath as he barges his way through the barrier the three have unintentionally put up across the opening gap. They watch as he goes off in another strop for a few moments before Dakota turns to me.

His blue eyes meet mine and I look to the floor, immediately noticing the stain on my boots.

"What was all that about?" Lilah asks slowly, still confused. I shrug my shoulders as I clamp my jaw shut, biting down on my teeth. "I've never seen him so angry..." she thinks out loud, taking one quick look behind her again. "He's been like it all day. Do you reckon something happened yesterday?"