Chapter Thirty

*Not Edited* Not Proofread*

Chapter 30- A carnival? No fucking way.

        If there is something in this fucked up world that I'm familiar with, it's the art of lying.

        Up until two, three years ago, I had rarely lied unless it was absolutely, completely necessary. I don't like liars, hate them with a passion, in fact. I never really understood the point of lying when you could just be honest. What's the point?

        But now I'm the liar, I'm the one thing I resent most in this world. It makes me feel a little better that I know I'm only being deceitful because it's pretty much the only thing keeping me alive, but I'm still not thrilled about it.

       Despite that, though, I still don't agree with other people lying, especially to me. It doesn't make me as hateful as it used to, I now semi-understand why some people lie about certain things, but it still fucking pisses me off. So one could only imagine my anger when Dakota ditches school, but decided to turn up to my house for tutoring Monday afternoon with a bruised face, claiming he had gotten it from a fight at The Ring.

        I can't tell him I was there on Saturday and know for a fact he didn't show up— I don't need one of his lectures, nor do I need him thinking I care about him. I went there to satisfy my own curiosity, but I doubt he would believe that if I were to tell him. So instead I have to sit back and pretend I believe the bullshit he's feeding me as he sits the oblivious to my knowledge.

        "So next word is—."

        "Who was it you said you fought again?" I interrupt abruptly, my eyebrows furrowed in accusation, my head tilted slightly to the side as I gaze over at him.

        Dakota's blue eyes look up at me suspiciously, "I didn't."

        I nod my head slowly, holding eye contact as I purse my lips before muttering, "Right."

        The wind is blowing fiercely, rattling the trees that surround us. The branches smack against the makeshift treehouse, disturbing the usual silence of the forest. I can see through the gap in the wooden wall, the heavy rain falling sideways due to the wind. The sky is grey, darkening the town of Raven Hollow way too early. I don't hate it. The shitty weather, I mean— I don't hate it.

        Dakota clears his throat, capturing my attention as I draw my gaze away from the small, window-like hole. His face is impassive, but his eyes are soft, kind. He sits in the corner of the room on one of the beanbags, a dictionary opened up on his lap, arms crossed as he watches me raise an eyebrow at him.

        "Spit it out, Dakota," I sigh with frustration, adjusting my position on my own beanbag in front of the mattress, a feet or two opposite Dakota.

        "Gray called last night," he starts, "said he and Lilah broke up."

        I scoff and shake my head, my teeth grinding. "They didn't 'break up'," I roll my eyes, "He broke up with her for that creature Gabrielle."

        "Gabriella."

        "Fuck you."

Dakota breathes out a small laugh, his lips twitching. "Do you know if she's okay?" He goes back to being his usual, serious self. "She hasn't been answering my calls."