Chapter Seven

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 7– You can joke?:

        I furrow my eyebrows as I look down at my biology book, pushing my glasses higher up my nose. There are multiple words on the page that I'm having difficulty reading and I find myself growing more frustrated by the second. How the fuck do I even pronounce that?

        I glance around the class, the only noise that can be heard is the scribbling of pens on paper in the otherwise quiet classroom. Everybody has their head down as they flick through their textbook and answer the questions in their notebook.

        "Need help?"

        "No."

        "Are you sure?"

        "Leave me alone, Laura," I snap under my breath, trying to ignore the girl beside me. It's just my luck that I have to sit beside the most irritating being I have ever met. We have five more minutes left of silence before we are able to discuss our work with the people beside us, but it would take a miracle for the irritating redhead to be quiet for that long.

        "You haven't answered any of the questions." She gestures to the blank lined-paper in front of me as if I'm unaware of the lack of work I have produced.

        "It doesn't mean I need help," I defend. I'm not going to tell her I can barely read the words in the book, let alone fucking write them and create a legible sentence. No, there's no way I'm going to tell her that. Besides, it's none of her fucking business, no matter how hard she tries to pry into my life.

        "You're not going to get anywhere in life with that attitude," she tells me matter-of-factly with a high pitched tone. I don't plan to live that long, is what I retort in my head. But that's another thing the annoying fuck doesn't need to know.

        "You're bugging the shit out of me now."

        "Do you have to be so rude?" She asks, glancing at her book with a thoughtful expression on her face before writing something down; presumably the answer to whatever question she's working on.

        I ignore her and pretend to look down at the book as if I'm actually interested in whatever shit we're learning about. In all honestly, science is something I'm good at— I fucking hate it, but I'm good at it.  The only problem I face, in all subjects really, is the reading and writing. The practicals I can do, and I understand with zero difficulty everything the teacher is saying, I just can't read the words on the page or even write anything down.

        Jace hadn't really taught me how to read, just write—and only that was the basics. He had taught me some reading, but it wasn't to the same level as everyone else my age was working at— or even those younger than me.

        "Okay. You can discuss your answers now," Mister Matthews speaks dully.

        I hear the ginger, hazel-eyed leech sigh from beside me, "Do you want the answers?" She asks softly.

        I grit my teeth. "No."

        "Suit yourself." She crosses her arms with a huff as she looks forward, her shoulders straight and chin up. I look her up and down from the corner of my eye before I turn away from her completely.

        A moment goes by before she nudges my shoulder, causing me to clench my fists to keep from punching her. "Hey, um—," she stutters awkwardly. "I'd just like to apologise for earlier, you know, with Gabby..."