Chapter Thirty-Two

Quick question real quick: What do you think of Dakota and Lilah?

I know some think they're annoying and pushy, (hopefully that will make sense why in later chapters) but I wanted to hear everyone else opinions on them. So please, let me know here. Thanks.

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 32– I know you're stupid:

        When I wake up after my forty minute nap, Dakota is nowhere to be found. I assume he had stayed until I'd fallen asleep, and left after doing the dishes that had been stacked in a clattered mess beside my kitchen sink that I notice when I drag myself downstairs to get a glass of ice water. I also notice a small, ripped piece of paper— that had clearly been torn off from the corner of my shopping list— stuck to my fridge with a magnet. I walk to it and pick it up as I read it over:

        Leftover pasta in fridge. Can eat cold or reheat for one to two minutes in microwave. Make sure you eat and get enough sleep. I'll check in later.

-Kota x

        I roll my eyes and crumple up the piece of paper in my hand, throwing it into the bin behind me. I'm not a fucking idiot and don't need to be treated like one of those demonic mini humans. Despite not knowing that pasta could in fact be reheated, I know how to make myself food if I need to— or more accurately, order takeout. I don't appreciate his kindness. It's uncalled for and unwanted.

___

        Later on that evening, around six o'clock, I decide to go to the gym before it closes. I know it perhaps isn't the best idea to go on the same day I had passed out from exhaustion and lack of nutrition, but I figure my total of a sixty minute nap and half eaten bowl of pasta is enough to get me through my workout.

        As I enter through the heavy double doors, I'm greeted by the young, preppy receptionist who stands behind the counter. She smiles kindly at me as I walk passed, wishing me a 'fun workout' in that overly friendly voice she's paid to speak in. It eats at my nerves whenever she talks to me, but I've only been lucky enough to sneak past her a couple of times.

        Rolling my eyes, I ignore her like I usually do, pushing through the glass door to the actual gym space. It's fairly empty, I notice as soon as I walk in; a few men are lifting weights in the middle of the room, the majority wearing earphones; a girl around the age of fourteen is running on one out of the many treadmills; and an old man is using the stationary bicycle by the floor-to-ceiling window, his eyes trained on the one way glass, staring out at the busy street ahead.

        I make my way to the leather punching bag over in the far corner straight away, not wasting any time. I'm already in my gym wear and my knuckles are already wrapped, so there's no reason I can't get right into my routine.

        ...Or so that's what I had thought before my phone starts ringing from where I've left it on the floor a few feet away.

        There is only three people it can possibly be, but since one of them is too busy wallowing in self pity to pick up the phone to call— not that it bothers me in the slightest— and the other one only just left me a few hours ago, it only leaves one remaining person.

        Jace.

        "Where the fuck have you been, R.A? I've been worried sick!" Comes his frantic, angered voice as soon as I accept his call.