Chapter Forty-Eight

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 48– I think I hate you, too:        

Fun.

        Fun.

        I know what it is, and I know how to have it. Breaking bones is fun, pulling out teeth is fun, carving into skin is fun. But I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say mine and Dakota's idea of the word is completely fucking different, and his is no doubt really fucking boring.

        "No, take me back."

        His smile is barely able to reach its full potential of annoyingness before it's slipping from his face. A frown replaces it, his eyebrows furrowing, "No," he tells me. "I'm not taking you home. Not until I've gotten you to smile at least once."

        My eyes rolls on their own accord, almost as if my subconscious finds him as irritating as I do. "Pass. Take me back."

        "Kody." He's warning me again, warning me to keep my mouth shut and just listen to what the fuck he has to say. I can feel my anger rising, and the fact that I'm getting mad for all the wrong fucking reasons, is making it rise even quicker.

        I'm not mad that he's talking to me the way he is. I'm not feeling disrespected, or talked down to; I'm not feeling attacked or insulted. A little annoyed that he's trying to tell me what to do, but that's as far as it goes. And that is what is pissing me the fuck off.

        I've always had a problem with authority. I must have gone through six different schools in five months of my first year of being out because I kept having problems with the teachers. But this, the way Dakota takes charge and is finally putting his fucking foot down, is more satisfying than it is angering. The whole 'letting me walk all over him' act was getting annoying. I could tell from the get-go Dakota wasn't that sort of person, but for some reason, he changed himself around me. He held back. This Dakota, although slightly angering, is definitely way less annoying. He shouldn't be, but he is. It should want to kill him, but I don't.

        "Dakota," I retort back in the same tone.

        The blonde raises an eyebrow, a grin playing at the corner of his lips. "Did you just mock me?"

        "Shut up."

        A short laugh is all he offers as we continue our drive to god knows where. The scenery soon changes from the browns and greens of nature, the trees turning into houses and the sounds less peaceful. I keep my eyes looking out of the windscreen and focus on the road ahead. It's not too busy, but Sunday's never are.

"So, the drive is going to be quite lengthy..." Dakota trails off, his eyes darting to me as he waits for my reaction. I shrug my shoulders and hold off from stabbing him in the thigh. The urge to hurt him isn't really there, but I feel like it's fitting for the situation I'm in. All because I don't exactly want to hurt him, doesn't mean I won't.

My jaw ticks as I release a breath, tapping my foot on the floor. I fold my arms against my chest and slouch in the leather seat.

Posture had always been something they were hot on back in the facility. A good form was key. Head held high, spine straight, shoulders back, legs apart, hands behind us. They loved it, we were like their own little soldiers. At first, it took me a long time to get out of the habit of always being so proper and robotic. Thinking back, I've come a long way since then— thanks to Jace. However, sometimes I still stand stiff with my head high and back straight, alert and on-guard. I don't realise I'm doing it at times, it's just a natural reaction when I feel threatened or I'm on edge. It's very rarely I let myself relax around anyone but Jace.