Chapter Forty

*Not edited*Not proofread*

Chapter 40- We have ourselves 'Jace's room':

        I should have kept the headaches to myself. Never should I have mentioned them to Jace. That man is always trying be a hero, I should have known he'd turn up.

        I should have told him I enjoyed the company of others; that the moment I stepped into this small town something inside of me changed for the better. I should have told him I spent my free time shopping with Lilah and braiding her hair; any and every time the group of misfits asked me to go out, I jumped at the chance to see them.

        I should have fucking lied my ass off.

        Maybe then he wouldn't be here right now, watching my every move and criticising my way of doing things.

        "I'm not trying to nag you," he takes a seat next to me on the couch I'm sitting on, his body angled so he can see my face as he talks to me. I scoff, but don't say anything. "I'm really not, Kody. I'm just trying to help."

        The way he says my name... he doesn't like it. I can tell he doesn't, but I'm not bothered by it in the slightest. I know it's only because I went against him when he tried to pin me with the name 'Teresa'. Do I look like a fucking Teresa to him?

        "I don't need help," I counter, sitting stiff on the comfortable sofa.

        Jace huffs and sinks back into the cushioned seat beneath him, his arms folded across his chest in a child-like manner. "You do," he mumbles quietly, thinking I couldn't hear him try to get in the last word. We've been having this back and forth for at least twenty minutes now. I'm not sure what was more tiring; having to repeat myself over and over again, telling him that his physical presence in my life isn't needed, or Jace keep arguing that it, in fact, is.

        I breathe in to calm myself down, pushing the middle button on the TV remote to check the time. As much as I hate school, I would rather be there. I'm bored as fuck and there's absolutely nothing to do.

        As if reading my thoughts, Jace suddenly turns to me again. "Is this what you do all day?" He refers to me sitting around doing absolutely fuck all. "Because I'm really bored and it's kind of depressing me..." he pauses for a while, "or it might just be because I'm so close to you."

        I roll my eyes, ignoring his comment, "Normally I'm not home at this time, I'd be going in to second period."

        He clears his throat. "Sorry about that. I didn't have the keys to get in. Didn't know what else to do."

        "So what was the plan? Turn up at my school, demand the keys and just hope I wouldn't bat an eye?"

        After a brief moment of silence, he says, "Yeah, pretty much." I shake my head at him, but don't care to reply. "But on a more serious note, we're not going to make a habit of you ditching school. This is the last time." I stare at him with a raised eyebrow at the attempt of authority. He sighs. "This is the reason I'm here, Runaway. To keep you on track. I figured if I want you to change—."

        "Then I'm going to have to help you change. I can't expect you to do it all by yourself..." I mimic sarcastically. "Yeah yeah, you've already said."

        And he has already said, countless of fucking times. That's all he's been yapping on about since the moment he stepped foot into my house. It's beginning to get on my nerves.

        "Mock me all you want," he shrugs unbothered, "But it's happening whether you like it or not."

        "Not."