Chapter Forty-Seven

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 47– To have some fun:

The end of term finally approaches and Halloween is just around the corner. The festive residents of my neighbourhood show their excitement and commitment to the horror-themed holiday by decorating their houses with skeletons, fake coffins, plastic headstones, severed limbs they bought at the store, and whatever other traditionally cliché decorations they could find, to honour... why the fuck do humans celebrate Halloween again?

        I don't really know much about the holiday, just that it's celebrated on the same day every year in October. The majority of people dress up like fucking idiots and throw parties or sit at home watching horror movies, and the tiny humans dress up like even smaller idiots and beg for sweets as they go around harassing people from door to door.

        In my opinion, Halloween is the second most irrelevant holiday people celebrate after Easter. What the absolute fuck is Easter about? A giant fucking bunny laying chocolate eggs for kids... for what fucking reason? Their stupidity shouldn't anger me so much, but sometimes it does.

        "So, Kiddo... any plans for the week?" Jace asks as he strolls into the kitchen where I'm feeding Rey. His chest is bare and only a pair of boxers adorn his body. I roll my eyes at his naked back as he opens the fridge door, yawning loudly, and turn away from the scarred skin with a frown.

        "No," I answer simply, pulling open the cabinet where I return Rey's bag of food. I stand up straight and take a seat on one of the stools as the mutt begins to munch happily on his biscuits. "And I'm not making any, either."

        A pout forms on his lips as he shuts the fridge with his hip, his arms full with ingredients to make breakfast. I'm not hungry, so I'll pass. "But it's Halloween!" He whines, his arm brushing against my back as he walks passed me. Unlike everybody else's touch, Jace's doesn't repulse me.

        I shrug my shoulders, though I'm not even sure he can see me doing it. "I don't fucking care. Somewhere in this world it's someone's birthday, too. But you don't see me wearing a party hat and blowing out candles, do you?"

A small chuckles escapes his lips, "You're funny, little warrior. But no, I don't. However, Halloween is a worldwide holiday, so everybody celebrates it. Including you," he flicks the back of my head and I duck away and swat at his hand. All because his touch doesn't repulse me, does not fucking mean I enjoy it.

I quickly finish the hot chocolate that had been getting cold as it sat forgotten on the counter and jump down from the stool. "Whatever, I'm going out. I'll see you later or something," I mumble vaguely as I begin to head out the kitchen. Jace calls out to me, wondering where I'm going and what time I'll be back, but I don't answer him as I grab my jacket and leave, slamming the front door behind me.

        The cool air hits me in the face as soon as I'm out the door, and the second I take in a lungful of air and breathe it back out, steam arises and disappears into the wind.

My car is cold when I get inside, my hands reach to turn on the heating after a few minutes of driving and it takes a while to warm up. My grey jumper underneath my leather jacket is thin and doesn't do much for the cold, but I hadn't really thought about changing out of it until it was too late.

        The sound of my tyres crunching against the broken twigs and small stones of the dirt track is one of the many indicators that I have reached the outskirts of the woods. Once I've parked my car and locked it, I get out and begin to zig zag through the trees on foot, mumbling curses under my breath until I reach the small, manmade house perched on the strong, thick branches of one particular tree.