Chapter Fifty-Five

*Not edited*Not proofread*

Chapter 55Trick or Treating:

She sits in my living room with a smile on her face. It's not smug, or mocking, just happy. She has a slice of pizza in her hand as she speaks to Jace— my pizza. She's dressed up as a dead nurse while her snot nose brother, who munches on my fries, touching them all with his jam hands, is dressed up as a mummy.

I sit on the armchair with a scowl as Jace and Lilah get to know each other. They try to include me in their conversation but I don't participate. The little human, whose name has completely evaded my mind, sits on the floor by my feet, accompanied by Rey who tries to steal his — my— food as he puts it in his mouth.

I hope the mutt bites his stupid little face off.

"Odee?" The brat nudges my leg with his elbow as Jace closes the now-empty boxes of food and stacks them on top of the coffee table in a neat pile, ready to be taken out to the trash.

"Don't touch me," I reprimand, barely looking down at him. His eyes roll and my leg almost kicks out at him as a reflex.

"Can we go trick'treating now?"

Say what now, tiny human?

Lilah meets my eye with a shy smile, a guilty look to her face. "It's tradition," she explains with an innocent-like shrug.

        I kick the annoying little fuck by my legs over as his hands wrap around one of my calves. Are all their fingers so tiny? "Get your grubby little mitts away from me," I tell him as he glares at me, now sprawled across the floor. "And no," I address his sister, "I don't do traditions. So go home, Lilah."

"Ru—"Jace clears his throat, "Kody. First of all, leave the kid alone. Second of all, we're going," he tells me, his white teeth shining as he smiles nicely, but I don't miss the warning on his face. "It'll be fun. And I'm sure Benny would love for you to go."

Why did he think that was going to help his argument?

The tiny person on the floor looks at me and I look at it. "You're Benny, aren't you?"

A giggle leaves his miniature lips and he nods. "You're so funny, Odee," he gets up from the floor, climbing up onto the armrest of my chair. I watch with curiosity as he slides down next to me and I freeze, my alarmed eyes finding Jace's as he smiles in amusement at me.

Slowly, I peer down at the goofy smile of Lilah's little brother. "Why are you touching me?" I ask him as he laughs again, wrapping his arms around my waist. I tense further. "Someone get it off me."

"Kody," Jace says in a chastising manner while Lilah laughs.

"I'm serious, Jace. These things are riddled with all sorts of diseases and germs. Who knows what he could be carrying."

Lilah seems to find my distress hilarious as she continues to chuckle away. Benny tightens his hold and grips onto me impossibly tighter, and Jace just sits there not knowing whether to tell me off for being rude or laugh at my discomfort.

        Taking matters into my own hands, seeing as no one else wants to chip in, I lean forward and grab one of Jace's cookies that are on the table and shove it in Benny's face. Just like Rey, his little nose twitches as he sniffs the snack, his small head lifting in search for it as I pull it away. Once he's sitting up straighter, despite his arms still being wrapped around me loosely, I dangle the chocolate food at arms length before throwing it across the other side of the room. "Fetch," I tell Benny, and like a mutt, his tongue hangs out the side of his mouth and he pants like a dog as he rushes over to the discarded cookie.