Chapter Thirty-Seven

*Not edited*Not proofread*

Chapter 37To- who?:

        "Kody!"

        I watch from the pavement as the car engine steams, a grey cloud of smoke disappearing into the night. The front of his convertible is crushed, utterly and completely.

        "Kody! Are you okay?" Dakota's rough, calloused hands cup my cheeks. I tear my eyes away from the totalled car. "Kody?"

        I blink at him, a frown on my face. "Well I'm not fucking dead, am I?"

        He heaves a sigh of relief, hands dropping back to his side. "Thank god."

        "Well it's definitely no thanks to you," I mumble, my hand coming up to touch the sting I can feel on my forehead. My fingers are met with blood as I feel along a lengthy gash going diagonally from the middle of my hairline, across my eyebrow, and stopping at my temple. The blood drips down the side of my face uncomfortably.

        The blonde goes back to analysing his mess of a car, running his fingers through his hair skeptically. "Fuck, fuck, fuck!" He curses loudly, his fist slamming into the side mirror. The glass shatters, the sound ringing like an echo in the silence that follows.

        "I'm no expert on what happens after you wrap your car around a tree, but I'm sure breaking it even more doesn't help matters," I snap at Dakota as he kicks his convertible again. My vision blurs as I try to focus on him; he's moving around too fast for me to keep up. I blink a few times as I watch him finally start to calm down after injuring the car some more.

        He strolls over to where I stand, turning me to face him as he grips my arms more gently than ever. "Are you hurt?" His eyes go straight to the cut on my forehead, almost like he already knew it was there but hadn't paid it much attention until now. "Shit. I'm so sorry, Kodes."

        I fight down the urge to push him away or hurt him even more than he already is as his thumb swipes across my temple. He's already frantic and annoying enough as it is. No doubt it would get worse if I were to break his fingers.

        There's only so much whining I can take.

"I'm fine," I wave off, swatting at his hands half-heartedly. "It's just a small cut, some broken ribs and a sprained ankle. I didn't get beheaded, or cut in half. Now get off me."

His blue eyes widen as he looks down to the ground where my feet are. "Shit," he breathes, crouching down. Gingerly, he grips my calf and picks up my leg, resting my foot on his toned thigh. "I am so sorry, Kody. I wasn't even thinking, I just..." he takes off my shoe which lessens the pain, but it really makes no difference to me as I'm not much bothered by it anyway. It feels more like a little pinch than anything. "I'm an idiot."

I roll my eyes and shake my head, putting my foot back down on the floor. "You were an idiot way before this," I tell him matter-of-factly, feeling a little too groggy to argue with him. I should probably sit down.

        He runs his hands across the back of his head anxiously as he straightens himself back up, proceeding to pace back and forth in front of me. "I called Glenn, he's on his way," he mumbles. "So's the ambulance."

I'm not exactly sure when it was Dakota had gotten the time to call my boss and the fucking paramedics, but that's probably because I wasn't paying any attention. I don't care much for the accident. I'm fine, Dakota is fine, apart from the car, everything's fine, so I really have no concerns about the matter, nor do I see the need to call an ambulance, who would also notify the police.