Chapter Three

Madison had spent the majority of the morning at home in her bed. After the long night she and the children had they were all in need of some rest. She hadn't climbed out of bed until well after lunch, and she wouldn't have done so if there hadn't been a knock on her door. "Coming" she called as she tugged an old beaten up sweater on.

She wasn't sure whom she was expecting to find behind the door, maybe Brooklyn or even the little old lady across the hall in need of more sugar. But either way she certainly was no expecting to find the Haywood's.

"Is something wrong?" she asked eyeing them confused. First what where they doing at her house? And second how did they even get her address to come to her house?

"We wanted to apologize for the way we acted earlier," Rebecca said. She glanced at her husband and tapped him on his arm "isn't that right dear?" his only response was a nod of agreement. "We acted so harsh towards you, but we realize now that the situation must have been hard on you too".

Madison stood in her doorway stunned. How was this the same couple she had seen earlier at the hospital? She opened the door wider to let them in "please come in".

The Haywood's walked inside and followed her towards her small kitchen space. "Can I get anyone something to eat or drink? Tea or coffee maybe?"

Rebecca took a seat at the table but her husband remained standing in the doorway. "I am fine dear" she smiled sweetly – almost too sweetly.

"Is there something I can do for you both?" Madison asked trying to sound strong and hide the crack in her voice. She took the seat across from Rebecca and watched as the two of them shifted almost nervously.

"Well now yes I guess there is something you can do," Rebecca said softly. "Not so much for us but more of something you can do for Brandon".

"What is it?" Madison asked confused more than ever now.

"We would like for you to pretend to be Brandon's wife. Play along with him over the next few days until he can get his memory back" Rebecca said.

Madison was stunned "I don't think that is going to work. I have children to worry about and this is my home. I don't see how any of that can work".

"We called in few favors today and learnt a little about you" Jonathan said walking towards the table. Madison looked as though she was going to say something but he raised his hand to silence her. "We had an investigator do a quick search on you. We know that your family is in debt and we know that you wish to be an author. Several of your books have been denied in the past".

"I don't see how any of that is your business" Madison said softly, stunned at everything that was said to her.

"I am making it my business" John said taking a seat "we are prepared to pay off your debts and we offer you three hundred thousand dollars plus we with publish one of your books".

Madison gasped, that was a lot of money. That money could really benefit her family. With her debts paid off maybe she could finally buy her family a bigger house in a better location. "Well I'm not sure".

"You cant seriously consider turning this offer down?" Jonathan said briskly.

"I have my kids to worry about" Madison said "if Brandon believes he is their father than I need to make my children believe that they are his daddy. And that isn't fair to my little girls. They don't deserve a half way daddy. What they really need is a full time one".

"Yes but dear isn't it better that they experience what having a daddy is like at least once" Rebecca countered "feel the love of a man, see how a husband is mean to treat his wife. It'll set a good example for those little girls of yours".