Chapter Five

"You who" a feminine voice called to Madison as she was kneeling in the garden digging up some dirt for the new flowers Rebecca brought over for her yesterday. Over the last couple days the Haywood's had popped in for more than one visit and Madison was expecting to once again see Rebecca walking towards her.

Instead she was pleasantly surprised to see a young woman about her age with wavy chocolate brown locks and a pair of tight jeans. Walking beside her was a young girl in her early teens carrying a basket.

Madison wiped her hands on her jeans and stood. "Hello there" Madison said with a warm and welcoming smile.

"Hi" the woman said with a western slang "I'm Isabelle Sutton and this is my daughter Annabelle" she said smiling.

"Anna" the young teen corrected her mother.

"Yes of course, Anna" her mother said with a playful smile. She glanced at Madison and whispered "teenagers".

Madison giggled a little "I have a son about your age, his name is Noah".

Anna nodded, trying to play it cool and not get excited but she was still a ten and wanted to see the other teen boy.

"He should be inside with his dad" Madison said smiling "you can go inside and meet him and his sisters". The girl didn't give it second though before heading inside.

Isabelle smiled at Madison "I haven't gotten a chance to introduce myself over the last few days" she said. "I'm your neighbor" she gestured to the house by the fence. "It is so nice to see this house being lived in again. It's been so empty since Madelyn's tragic passing. And don't worry I know everything. The Haywood's told me on Saturday about everything".

"You knew Madelyn?" Madison asked softly, glancing at the door to be sure Brandon wasn't nearby. It was a weight off her shoulders knowing that there was somebody other than herself who knew the secret.

"I did" Isabelle said, "We were dear friends in high school. When I moved to Toronto from Calgary in grade ten every one already had their little groups, Madelyn took me under her wing. I was her maid of honor at her wedding. It was devastating to hear about her tragic death".

"Do you know what happened?" Madison asked, "no one has really told me anything".

Isabelle nodded "I do, and I would be happy to tell you the story but this isn't the time" she said. "Maybe you can come by for tea one of these afternoons," she suggested.

"I would like that" she answered. She was very used to having Brooklyn just down the hall that she could talk to at any time, and she must admit she was kind of lonely without having her nearby. It was a relief to know that the woman would be close by to talk to.

"But down to the good stuff" Isabelle said "Rebecca called to say you and Brandon had his first doctors appointment this afternoon and you might need someone to watch the kids. And so here I am bearing fresh baked cookies". She gave a little salute "baby sitter reporting for duty".

Madison glanced at her watched and gasped a little "you're right, I better get going with Brandon. We don't want to be late. Thank you so much for coming by to sit with the kids. Noah will be fine but the girls could do with someone close by". She removed her apron she used to keep the dirt off. "Please come in," she said walking to the door.

"Thank you" Isabelle headed inside and removed her shoes "this is lovely" she said looking at the newly designed rooms. The Haywood's had changed things a little before Madison and her family moved in.

"I am glad you like it" Madison said shaking off her shoes "I need to change quickly if you don't mind" she nodded to the woman and rushed to her room. "Brandon it's time to go!" she called to the man on her way.