Chapter Eleven

Madison was lying on the couch one Monday morning with a bowl of ice cream in front of her. For the past few days she hadn't been feeling well and was suspecting that she was coming down with the flu. She had awoken with a sick stomach and hadn't even bothered to change into clothing. Right now she was seated in front of the TV watching Marilyn Denis and eating ice cream.

She had her journal tossed on the coffee table in front of her. Usually she would spend her mornings writing another chapter of her book. But today she seemed to be absent of any inspiration.

She sighed a little to herself and grabbed her journal and started to flip through the pages. Maybe she should get started on the ideas for Noah's birthday next week. It might be good to have a few things written down. When she first decided to take the year of leave from work in order to focus on her writing she wasn't expecting it to be this lonely.

Over the summer she always had the kids around or Brandon had been off work. But now with everyone outside the house she was starting to miss her busy days in a classroom.

She considered volunteering in Emma and Ella's classroom but this early in the year there wasn't much for her to do there. Once the year got going she would have more things to help with.

Some afternoons she had spent with Isabelle who worked from home but she wasn't always as free as Madison was. She did enjoy not having to rush around doing laundry or cooking dinner but the loneliness was starting to get to her.

A small groaned escaped her lips as she heard the doorbell ring. She pushed herself off the couch, causing her blanket to fall to the floor. She trudged over to the door and slowly opened it.

"Hi dear" Rebecca stood on the porch with a smile plastered on her face. She held a small basket in her hand with fresh baked croissants in it. "I brought some fresh baked goods, I was hoping you and I could have some breakfast together".

Madison blushed a little and stepped aside to let her in. "I'm sorry" she said glancing down at her fuzzy pajama pants and one of Brandon's old band shirts "I wasn't expecting company".

Rebecca stepped inside a smile still on her face "that's okay, I can wait for you to change".

She lead her fake mother in law towards the kitchen "I'll be right back" she said and quickly headed upstairs. She grabbed a pair of yoga pants and a checkered long sleeve shirt. She rolled her sleeves up and tugged her hair back into a messy ponytail. She rushed back downstairs to find Rebecca had gotten out some plates and served out the croissants.

"Would you like some tea?" she asked putting the kettle on.

"Thank you dear that would be great" Rebecca said taking a seat.

Madison prepared a mug of tea for Rebecca and some hot chocolate for herself before taking a seat. "What brings you here this morning?" she asked dipping her pastry into her hot chocolate.

"Cant I just visit my daughter in law?" Rebecca asked.

"So Brandon told you I was lonely" Madison noticed the look on Rebecca's fast and nodded her head "yeah that is what I thought".

"He's just worried about you" Rebecca said having some of her tea "he really seems to care a lot about you. You have grown on him".

"I suppose I don't have much choice" Madison said taking a drink "I mean for the last two months he has been under the impression that he and I are married". She didn't say it bitterly like she did when the accident first happened, instead it now sounded almost sad – sad that the marriage wasn't real.