Chapter Twenty-Nine

Today was the day. It was the day that on paper Madison had been planning for the last two months, however in reality it was something that Madison had been planning all of her life. It was her wedding day – or at least as close to her wedding day as she was ever going to get.

She felt as though she was a princess getting ready to meet her prince charming. She stood in front of the large tri-fold mirror in the back of the church. She turned slightly to look at herself from the side. Her gold hair was pinned back in an elegant braided bun and on top of her head was a simple tiara. She had a long lacy veil going down her back that could be lifted over her face. The seamstress had added the longer sleeves like Madison had requested and when she held the flowers in her hands the sleeves fell like ribbons around her body.

Madison sighed a little as she ran her hand down the soft fabric of the body of the dress. The elegant swirls and flowery designs looked even more brilliant than they did weeks ago when she first tried it on.

"Okay just hold still," Brooklyn said as she crawled around on her hands and knees to firmly secure the strap of her heel. She pulled the skirt of the dress down so that it fell into place.

Kennedy was laying the veil flat on the floor so that it all flared out to be see "there we go" she said with a smile.

"I just have to..." Isabelle trailed off as she leaned forward to add a final touch to Madison's lipstick.

"Alright girls" Rebecca laughed as she walked into the room "that's enough fussing now. Madison has never looked so beautiful". She walked over to Madison and took her hands softly in hers. "Can you give us a moment alone?" she asked the girls – who quickly slipped out of the room. "I wanted to say that no matter what happens after this day you are always going to be my daughter in law". Her eyes held a secret twinkle and brightness to them. They looked like the eyes of someone who had seen the future and was unwilling to tell you what they knew.

Madison took a deep breath and nodded "this isn't even a real wedding. But yet I seem to be terrified".

Rebecca smiled "you've got butterflies? I think every first time bride has feelings like that".

"But I'm not actually a bride" Madison insisted.

The older woman gave Madison's shoulders a firm squeeze. "You certainly look like a real bride. Now you need to stop thinking this way. This is your day Madison. This is as much of your wedding day as any other wedding day you would have. You deserve to enjoy it".

Madison took another breath and nodded "you're right. It might be the only wedding day I ever have in my entire life. So I better enjoy it the right way".

"It is an honour and a blessing to have you and your children as Haywood's" Rebecca said beaming at her daughter.

"Thank you" she smiled softly. She reached to the vase that was keeping her flowers fresh and grabbed hold of her bouquet. "Was Madelyn's wedding anything like this?"

"No" Rebecca said, "Madelyn and Brandon marriage was more of a show. We had all the major clients and it had a huge budget. It wasn't family based and it wasn't homey. Your wedding is a piece of you. You have created this day that is straight from your heart. It suits you and Brandon's relationship. There is no possible way that you can compare it to Madelyn. It's far too different".

Madison nodded "thank you. I think I compare myself to her a little too much. Brandon loved her so much. And I want to... I want to give him the kind of happiness he had with her".

"There are things that even Brandon doesn't know about Madelyn" Rebecca shook her head "my husband and I did a lot to protect Brandon from Madelyn's true nature."