Chapter Twelve

"Happy birthday Noah!" Emma jumped into Noah's arms when he entered the backyard the afternoon of his birthday. The entire Haywood family was out back trying to get everything set up in time for Noah's party.

"Hey thanks little sis" Noah laughed and ruffled her hair. "You did all this?" he asked glancing at his parents. The whole backyard was done up as party central. A large tent was pitched in the far back and Brandon had prepared a fire pit in the middle of the yard for hen it got dark. There was a large projection screen against the wall and Christmas lights dangling from tree to tree. It was a teenage party dream. The only thing missing was music.

"And we have a whole snack table of chips and candy set up for later" Madison said laying a tablecloth across the picnic table. "And your dad is going to BBQ for dinner".

"Thank mom" Noah said looking around "this is so cool".

"Glad you like it" Brandon walked over with his buddy Matt following behind him. "You guys remember Matt right?" he said pointing to his friend.

"It's great to see you again" Madison said smiling towards Matt "come to lend a hand?"

Matt chuckled a little and held up a large bag "DJ reporting for duty".

"You're a DJ?" Noah said heading over. In his teenage eyes you couldn't be any cooler than a DJ.

Brandon laughed and patted Matt on the shoulder "he was the best DJ in our sorority, he would do the music for all our parties".

"You were in a sorority?" Noah asked looking at his dad stunned. No kid could ever imagine his or her parents being cool.

"That's how Brandon and I met" Matt said chuckling "he was my big, and let me tell you he was the coolest big there was. Everyone wanted him as their big brother".

"Really?" Noah was stunned even more now.

"Maybe one day you'll follow in my footsteps" Brandon said with a small chuckle. He reached out and ruffled his hair.

"Noah come play with us!" Ella called out. The two girls were dancing together under the lights and their giggling filled the air like music.

"Looks like your being called" Brandon chuckled and shooed his son away. He laughed a little more and headed to Madison at the treat table "he is becoming a man".

"He certainly is" Madison said watching her son interact with her little girls. "But the main question is" she turned back to Brandon "are you ready to have three more teenage boy and two teenage girls hanging out in our backyard?"

Brandon chuckled "oh young one, you have a lot to learn. Of course I am ready".

Madison laughed a little "you are the one who has a lot to learn".

"Ah yes the teacher would know all" Brandon said playfully.

"Mothers know all" Madison corrected just as the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it!" Noah called rushing away from the girls and heading to the front door to answer it.

"Looks like it's party time' Brandon said smiling.

One by one Noah's friends started to arrive with their swim suits in hand. It had been agreed that they would spend the afternoon swimming in the poll then have a sleepover.

Madison sat on the sidelines watching her son interact with his friends. He was busy in the pool with three of his friend off his new baseball team and Anna from next door. Brooklyn was even able to make it out with her daughter Carson.