CHAPTER FOUR

"Come a little closer, then you'll see

Come on, come on, come on
Things aren't always what they seem to be"

After their steamy shower, Athena decided to unpack Fred's items from the white hospital bag, thinking that Archie would appreciate this action. She laid the items out, even bothering to fold a few things. Most covered with his own blood, but Athena decided not to think about the fact. Archie came bounding the stairs whilst pulling a grey shirt over his head, most of his hair remained damp as did Athena's.

"What's going on?" He stopped at the head of the table, analyzing the contents of his father's trip to Pop's. "I just took your dad's things out of the bag. I thought it might be easier to just lay it all out. I was waiting for you to decide what to do with it. I hope that's okay with you." Athena turned to Archie to see him grab his dad's bloody jacket that he never seemed to take off. He dipped his hands into each pocket, becoming slightly frantic each time he didn't find what he wanted.

"Where's, uh--? Where's his wallet?" He moved all the items around, hoping that his father's precious wallet was just under the fabric but he came up empty. "I didn't see it in the bag. This was all that was there." Athena furrowed her brows before looking into the bag to check she didn't miss it. "Well, it would've been in his coat. Are you sure you didn't see it?" He checked the pockets again, his franticness reaching new levels.

"I'm pretty sure. Maybe it's at the hospital, in the truck or even at Pop's?" Athena attempted to give Archie an answer that he craved but to no avail. "No, this is everything they had. You heard the nurse." Archie stopped checking the pockets, placing his palms flat on the table. Athena paused for a second, trying to think up solutions to ease her boyfriend. "Well, we can check again and at least it's just a wallet. Nothing major." Athena shrugged before slowly checking the table again.

"Everything that is important to my dad is in that wallet. He doesn't go anywhere without it." Archie spoke fast and distraught as he stared at Athena. "Well, we can go check at Pop's or the hospital again. It should be okay." Athena walked a step closer to him. He shook his head before taking a slight step back causing her to feel a little bit hurt. "Why did you even open the bag?" He spoke to her with an accusatory tone that Athena definitely did not like.

"I thought that maybe--" She stammered out, pointing to the clothes. "No, seriously. Why are we even here? Athena, I didn't ask you to come. I didn't want to come here and--" He sighed before collapsing down onto the chair. Every word that he had yelled caused her heart to break. On the verge of tears, she looked up at him instead of the ground, wondering if he was finished.

"Just forget it. Just go. I'll take care of this. I'll see you at the hospital or I'll call you." He wiped a hand over his face as Athena stood still, her body in shock. "You really want me to leave?" Her voice shook as she walked closer towards him. "Yeah. I do." The certainty in his voice caused her two nod her head slowly before taking a slow stroll to the front door. She placed her hand on the knob before freezing. No, she couldn't leave him. No matter how much his words had put a dent in her armor, she knew that he was completely ruined. He was just trying to push her away.