CHAPTER THIRTY THREE

"Well, can't we just laugh and joke around?Remember cuddles in the kitchen, yeah"

Remember cuddles in the kitchen, yeah"

Athena strode into school with her head held high, her nails were freshly done, and she had a whole new attitude towards everything. She was a strong independent woman and she did not need anyone. She strolled into the student lounge and smile at Archie, Betty, and Jughead who looked at her strangely, surprised by her cheery mood. "Who baked you pancakes this morning?" Athena chuckled and sat down in an armchair, placing her bag by her feet.

"No one, Jug. I'm just happy, I'm a free, independent woman." The three sent each other looks, taking this as an odd sign as Athena had been happy but she hadn't been this happy the past couple of months. Her grin was infectious and spread to all of their faces causing them to all look up at Veronica who entered the room, with wide smiles. "Friends, I have an exciting announcement to make." Veronica took a small pause before smiling with her friends. "I'm running for Student Council President against Reggie 'The Misogynist' Mantle. No offense, Athena."

Athena, still smiling, swiped her hand in the air at her friend. "None taken, we're not together anymore." The four friends paused, looking at Athena with wild looks as she grinned. "Okay, we will definitely be coming back to that. If yesterday's dramatic events taught me anything, it's that Veronica Lodge is not a victim. Nor will she ever allow herself to be one." Athena let out a cheer, supporting her friend who smiled at her gratefully whereas others weren't as happy. "Your parents are taking over Riverdale and now you want to take over our school? So what is this? Part of Mommy and Daddy's evil bidding?"

Athena let out a small sigh, wanting the fighting to end in the group but the two strongest personalities keep constantly butting heads and all the others could do is either watch or defend. Archie seemed to like the defensive option rather than the other. "Jug, I get that you're in a bad mood because you haven't eaten in-" Veronica was quick to interrupt Archie, wanting to fight her own battles with the brooding boy. "Actually, Jughead, my parents think I should avoid the spotlight." This statement caused Jughead to lean forward with a hint of surprise on his face. "Really?"

"But I was born for elected office." Veronica smiled as Athena jumped up and hugged her before sitting down. "I think its a fantastic idea. You've got my vote!" Veronica smiled widely at her friend, loving her friend's new enthusiasm. "V, if you want to be President, you've got our vote." Betty agreed, smiling sweetly. "Yeah, Team Ronnie all the way." Archie grinned at his girlfriend who smiled back down at him before turning to Betty. "B? As the Thelma to my Louise, I can't imagine doing this with anyone else except obviously Athena but she hates this sort of thing. Will you be my running mate?"

Athena grinned at the two girls who excitedly talked about their team together before they rushed off for cheerleading practice which Athena was quite glad that she was no longer apart of. That just left the two boys and her causing Athena to smile at the two who had been butting heads recently over every little thing. But one thing they agreed on was their curiosity over why Athena had dumped Reggie. "So you and Reggie?" Archie asked, raising an eyebrow and leaning his elbows on his thighs.

Athena shrugged and played with her fingers, looking down at them. "Yeah, the honeymoon phase is a curious thing indeed." She glanced up at Archie to see only happiness in his eyes whereas Jughead clapped his hands together and stood up, patting Athena on the back. "I for one am glad to have you back with us instead of making out with him." Athena rolled her eyes and shoved Jughead slightly. "Asshole. Wanna go to Pop's tonight? Like the good old times." Jughead grinned and nodded and everything seemed right within the friendship group.

And even as she sat across from Jughead that night, groaning as she bit into her burger. "You sure you don't want some, Jug? Not even a fry." Jughead shook his head as he sipped on the water glaring at the girl across from him. "I thought you were a good Blossom but now, I know you're evil." Athena smiled widely as she used her thumb to wipe some mustard off of her lip, frowning as she noticed Jughead's eyes glancing behind her. She put down her burger and turned, seeing a somber Archie slip into the booth next to her.

"Crashing our dinner. I thought you had things to do." The boy only gave her a slight smile before looking to Jughead with wary eyes. He handed Jughead a flier and Athena watched as Jughead's face twisted into disgust. Well, there goes their peaceful night. "Hiram's trying to tear down Southside High by the end of this week? He's supposed to give the neighborhood at least a six weeks' notice. Who'd he pay off? Can I have another water, please, Pop? Thank you." Jughead's mind was racing a million miles per hour and Athena could see it all, taking the flier and reading over it.

Athena didn't try to understand why Jughead was so attached to Southside High but wouldn't ever dare to say it, knowing he was sensitive about the topic. "Jug, my dad got shot, right here in Pops, because Riverdale was sliding off the deep end. And if Mr. Lodge's plan can shore things up and help make Riverdale more secure for us and our families, then I think that's a good thing in my book. Besides, why do you care so much? You were only at Southside High for like, four days!" Athena whacked Archie's arm causing the boy to turn to her, frowning at her distressed expression. Jughead shook his head, angrily and screwed up his face.

"You remember that I was raised on the Southside, right? My mom, my dad, Jellybean... That neighborhood is the last tangible piece I have of them until your dad comes in with his bulldozers." Athena grabbed Jughead's hand and gave her support to him without saying anything, Archie noticing it immediately. He was the odd one out in the booth with his ex-girlfriend supporting Jughead. " My dad's actually against this whole thing. He's pulling out of his deal with the Lodges over it."

Athena drew her hand away from Jughead's and stared at Archie, surprise all over her features. "You're siding with Hiram over your dad, Archie." The way she said his name sounded shocked and somewhat pitiful, making him shake his head and look at the two. "We see things differently, okay? And it makes me sick." Archie shook his head, grimacing at the thought but he was not gaining any sympathy from Jughead who had visible anger on his features. "Kind of like when you and your best friend are two trains running on the same track in opposite directions, destined to collide?"

The air that swirled around in Pop's was tense and the only thing that cut through it was the loud ringing of Athena's phone as the boys stared each other down. Athena frowned and quickly picked it up, keeping her eyes on the boys who looked at her. "Hey Cheryl, what do you need?" Athena froze as she heard a shaky voice on the other line. "Athena, you need to come home. Nana Rose fell down the stairs or was pushed, I-I don't know. Can you just please come home?" Athena nodded even though Cheryl couldn't see her.

"Yeah, of course. I'll be right there. Don't worry." Athena put her down, her hand slightly shaky as she stood up, Jughead and Archie mimicking her actions. "What's happened?" Athena licked her lips frantically and felt her heartbeat erratically. "Nana Rose fell down the stairs and Cheryl thinks she might've been pushed. I need to go." Athena rushed off, slightly teary-eyed, and made eye contact with Archie before she rushed off, the boy seeing the pain in her eyes.

Jughead sighed and shook his head at his best friend as he watched Athena drive off, sitting down and taking a gulp of his water. Were they destined to stay apart of this vicious cycle of being in constant strife or would they finally catch a break?

lol I know I haven't posted in a while because, in all honesty, I did not think that many people still actually read this but some of you have been commenting and messaging me about it so here ya go. There aren't many episodes to go but I do think that there will be a lot of chapters and sorry but I am skipping the musical episode because idk how to make that shit work.

Thanks, Queenie.
(UNEDITED)