CHAPTER THIRTY

"Thinking 'bout the way I wasDid the heartbreak change me? MaybeBut look at where I ended up"

Did the heartbreak change me? Maybe
But look at where I ended up"

Athena's hand brushed the shelf of the convenience store that Betty, Veronica and Her stood in. They were having a girl's day out, but all Athena could think about was the boys. God, she hoped that they were all being civil and that they were actually getting along. "So, Betty Unless that was some seriously aggressive hand-holding I heard through the wall last night." Betty giggled at Veronica's comment causing Athena to zone back into the conversation. "When did that start?"

The three wandered around the shop, browsing through the bric-a-brac, not really intending to buy any of the junk. "The night of your confirmation," Betty said causing Athena to let out a slight laugh. "How holy." Betty rolled her eyes as they walked towards the front, Veronica joining in on the laughter. "Well, as my abuelita likes to say, 'Praise Jesus." She said, picking up a candle and placing it on the front counter. Athena looked up at the cashier who seemed to be eyeing Veronica causing her to feel slightly uncomfortable.

"Hi, I'd like this and this. And, oh, the last time I was here, you had the most scrumptious scones." The guy nodded, picking up a paper bag from under the counter. "Yeah. Yeah, my grandma makes 'em, but just during the summer for the summer people." Athena and Betty gave each other a look as the cashier couldn't seem to take his eyes off of her. "Oh. That's when we normally come up." Veronica said, picking her wallet out of her bag.

"Thought I recognized you. You've got one of those places on Shadow Lake, right? But you're usually with your folks." Athena narrowed her eyes at the man, not picking up great vibes from him. "Yeah, they're back in, um I was about to say New York, but we're in Riverdale now." He scoffed as he scanned through her items, placing them in the bag. "That hick town? I bet they don't even know what to do with you there." He flirted causing Athena and Betty to scrunch their noses up. "No, they do not. What's your name, handsome?"

"Okay, enough flirting here. You had a fight with Archie, you didn't break up with him." Betty interrupted causing Athena to sigh with slight relief as Veronica grabbed her bag. "I'm Cassidy." The three walked out of the shop, Athena feeling uneasy as she walked behind the two, noticing the stares from the three men outside. "So, how's it been? You know, with you and Jughead?" Veronica asked causing Betty to nod with a bright smile on her face. "Oh. Things have been nice."

"Nice is not what I heard last night." Veronica joked causing Betty to giggle. "Okay, well, you know what I wore that night we got Chuck into that hot tub?" Athena's eyes widened remembering how the two girls had told her about their late-night hot tub session with the biggest douchebag in school. "Betty, what?" Athena said causing Betty to giggle and shake her head as they walked.

"Enough about Jughead and I. How are you and Reggie?" The two girls both looked at her with expectant eyes as she sighed. "We are great. We're perfect, sometimes it feels a little bit too perfect. We haven't had any problems or tough times and I feel like something bad is about to happen." The gravel crunched underneath their shoes as Veronica smiled at her friend.