CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

"Would things be easier if there was a right way

"Would things be easier if there was a right way. Honey, there is no right way"

Pickens day had arrived and Athena was not in the mood for it at all. She watched as the people gathered to eat maple snow cones and celebrate the day with their family. Athena had split up with her mother and her sister and waited off to the side for Reggie, the only reason she had even shown up that day.

"Hey, babe." Athena turned at the voice and smiled at Reggie who wrapped an arm around her waist before giving her a quick kiss. The two walked towards the gazebo where Fred Andrews ran up the steps to the microphone. Athena would be lying if she said she didn't miss Fred. The only decent father figure in her life apart from FP, Fred pretty much taught her what was right from what was wrong.

"Hello, Riverdale. Happy Pickens Day. On behalf of Lodge Industries and Andrews Construction, we are thrilled to kick things off with a new twist on an old favorite. So, Veronica and the Pussycats." Athena twisted her head to the side to see Archie looking up and cheering for Veronica as she ran up on her stage. She had to mend things between them. Athena missed her best friend.

Athena and Reggie nodded their heads to Veronica's singing which sounded amazing, but Athena watched Veronica's eyes have panic within them. She turned to the side, Reggie's arm sliding off of her waist as she looked at the Southsiders walk peacefully to the front of the stage. Athena could clearly see Jughead, Toni, and Sweetpea among the crowd as they stood with signs and tape over their mouths.

Athena felt Reggie step forward slightly causing her to grab his bicep. "Please, don't. For the love of god, don't." Reggie swallowed his pride and backed down, taking a step back. "I won't okay." Reggie kissed the side of Athena's head, knowing that he had to pick his battles and today was most definitely not one of them.

"We're here representing the dead and the silenced. Pickens Day is a lie. General Pickens slaughtered the Uktena tribe, my grandfather's family. And this land, the land that we're standing on, the land that will soon give way to a new Southside, was stolen from them. And we can't bring them back, but we can and we must honor them." Toni told the crowd from a megaphone causing Athena to want to clap. But her attention soon was focused on Hiram Lodge who walked up to the microphone behind the protesters before speaking.

"Hey, folks, hi. Uh I think we can all be proud to live in a Riverdale where young people stand up for justice. Where a young woman can defend the honor and legacy of her grandfather. And where we can celebrate the living legacy of the Uktena, who contribute to the rich tapestry that is Riverdale, that is the Southside and that will be SoDale. So let's hear a round of applause for that, am I right?" Athena scoffed and clapped slowly before leaning over to Reggie.

"He turned that situation around real damn quick. Bastard." Reggie scoffed and shook his head as he clapped along with them, the Southsiders soon disappearing from the land that was once theirs. "Hey, babe. I have to go. I'll see you tomorrow right." Athena smiled at Reggie as he gave her a soft peck on her lips before catching up with his family. Athena looked around herself and noticed Archie leaning against a tree just a couple of meters from her.

Sighing, Athena started walking over to Archie, his attention on Veronica who was speaking to her parents who seemed to be grilling her. "Hey Arch. Long time no speak, huh?" Archie let out a soft chuckle and nodded, turning his full attention to her. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry about everything but I think it might've been for the best. You seem happy with Ronnie." Archie nodded and smiled.

"Yeah, I am. And I want to say sorry for when I walked in on you and Reggie. I had no right to be mad, considering what happened with Betty and all that stuff that happened between us." Athena smiled brightly and put her hand out in front of her. "So, we can go back to being best friends again?" Archie chuckled and shook her hand before pulling her into a hug.

"Of course." The two pulled away from each other as someone next to them cleared their throat. Athena turned and saw it was Veronica who had a strained smile on her face. "Have you both finally made up?" Athena nodded causing Veronica to let out a breath before wrapping an arm around Archie's waist.

"Perfect! Now, we can finally go on double dates." Athena and Archie scrunched up their noses causing Veronica to nod. "Baby steps. Alright, we have to go. Athena, I know we haven't talked much and that is going to change." Veronica waved to the girl before she and Archie walked off back to her parents.

"My god, sister. One boy at a time." Athena jumped at the sound of Cheryl's voice causing her to shake her head and walk with her. "You're one to talk. You basically have your claws in five guys at once." Athena snorted causing Cheryl to softly shake her head. "Things are changing. For the both of us."

Lil short one for y'all. So, I am going to wing this one until the end because I'm not quite sure what I'm doing and I'm actually just writing because it's getting my mind off of some personal family stuff. Sorry, if it isn't great but whatever.

Thanks, Queenie.

(UNEDITED)