CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

"Oh my love, can't you see that you're on my mindDon't suppose we could convince your lover to change his mind"

Don't suppose we could convince your lover to change his mind"

When Veronica Lodge suggested, they all go up to the lakehouse, Athena was less than thrilled. She knew she still had feelings for Archie and this was going to be awkward considering Veronica hadn't mentioned that the invite was extended to Reggie. "Veronica, can I invite Reggie? Y'know since it seems to be a couples sort of thing." Veronica nodded with a smile, ignoring the way Archie sighed quietly which didn't go unnoticed by Athena.

"Of course. You two will have to drive up in Reggie's car though because we won't have enough room for us and the bags." Athena smiled and stood up. "Of course. Send me the address, I can't wait." Athena let out a giggle before exiting the room. Archie let out the breath he had been holding in causing Veronica's eyes to dart over to Archie. "What is it?" Veronica put her hand on his shoulder causing him to shrug it off and shake his head. "Everything is fine, Ronnie."

Reggie Mantle smiled as Athena strolled up to him, prompting him to pick her up, adjusting his hands underneath her thighs. "Reggie! Put me down." Reggie pretended to ponder for a moment before shaking his head. "A princess like you shouldn't be allowed to walk everywhere." Athena rolled her eyes, jumping out of his arms and placing her feet back on the ground. "You're corny and I hate you." Reggie winked at her before draping his arm over her shoulders.

"So, I have to ask you something and you have to say yes." Reggie's lips quirked into a mischievous smile as wicked things drifted into his mind. "Ronnie asked us to go up to her lakehouse this weekend. To get away from everything." Reggie's smile faltered slightly before he nodded. The teen was still wary about Archie Andrews as he seemed to be the only one who saw the way he still looked at Athena. But they were friends and he had no right to say anything.

"Sounds great, babe." Athena stood on the tips of her toes and kissed his cheek before dragging him to science which they shared. The day went by quickly and before they knew it, Reggie's hand rested on her thigh as they pulled up to the lakehouse. "Everyone is already here so we'll probably get the worst room or as bad as a room can be in a mansion like this," Athena said as she dragged her bag alongside Reggie who was quick to shake his head and pick it up for her.

They had arrived two hours later than they were supposed to as they were only planning for an hour but then Reggie claimed he didn't need a map and after driving around and arguing for an hour, they finally arrived. "Bonjour, welcome to Lodge Lodge." Athena smiled brightly as Veronica embraced her, Betty following soon after.

"It's good to be here. Sorry, we're late. But someone didn't want to use a map." Reggie rolled his eyes playfully before looking at Veronica. "Which room do I put these in?" Veronica gave him directions and he set off. "Perfect timing after an awkward experience, I was just talking about making my famous jalapeño margaritas." Veronica walked off to make her Margaritas leaving behind the four, an awkward combination.

"God, I feel like we haven't hung out just us in ages." Archie looked up at Athena and nodded. "It has been a while." He responded before turning to look past Athena as Reggie wrapped his arm around her. "Veronica asked me to come get you guys. Margaritas are almost ready." Athena gave Archie a sweet smile which he reciprocated before sending Reggie a slight glare which went unnoticed. Athena thought that maybe they could get to that nice place again.

Before all this drama and before the death of Jason Blossom. They all gathered in the living room raising their Margarita glasses in the air as Jughead made a toast. "I'd like to propose a toast. To the Lodges, to their hospitality. And to putting the past behind us." They all clinked glasses, Reggie and Athena sitting across from Betty and Jughead.

"So, your parents come up here a lot these days, Veronica?" Jughead began to make conversation, Athena laid her head on Reggie's shoulder as she looked between everyone. Athena had lectured Reggie before they came up that if he was to say anything out of line or rude then he was out of the house. Athena didn't realize she had been so harsh on the boy until they sat at that moment, Reggie staying completely silent which was a rare thing.

"Not as much as they'd like. Daddy's such a workaholic, you know." Veronica smiled, playing with the straw in her drink. "On the SoDale project? How's that going? Is that heating up? Still getting intense?" Athena's eyes connected with Betty as they noticed his questioning. Jughead was a good friend but he was never really asking Veronica about her life and everything. Athena could see the reporter in him showing.

"It is. Luckily, Archie's dad is doing such a superb job of keeping everything on schedule." Veronica told them all before Betty was quick to speak before Jughead spoke again. "Vee, tell us more about your fancy neighbors." Athena nodded along with Betty, turning to Veronica. "Yes, tell us. Do they live the most lavish lifestyles?" Veronica laughed.

"Yeah, are they in the same business as your dad?" Athena's eyes darted over to Jughead as he looked at Veronica and then her as she gave him a slight shake of her head, seeing how annoyed Betty was becoming. "Jughead! I mean it." Betty whispered and clearly, Athena wasn't the only one who noticed as Archie knitted his eyebrows together. "Guys, what's up?"

"Betty, I'm just making idle conversation. I'm sorry, please continue." Jughead spoke softly, shifting uncomfortably under Betty's gaze. Veronica smiled and continued speaking. "It's a hodgepodge, really. Some are in entertainment, some are in business, some are in real estate." Reggie shifted next to Athena as he nodded. "Fancy neighborhood, I imagine a lot of sports stars live up here," Reggie added causing Veronica to giggle.

"I wouldn't be surprised if every second house had one." They all laughed slightly before Jughead continued his line of questioning. "You know what's weird? As we were driving up here, I noticed that none of the houses had mailboxes or numbers or anything on 'em. Why is that?" Athena raised her eyebrows, not noticing the odd fact. "Shadow Lake is a pretty private community."

"Like they're hiding something?" Betty began whispering and arguing with Jughead as Archie and Veronica began whispering as well. "Do you know what is happening?" Reggie whispered to Athena causing her to shrug. "No clue." Veronica cleared her throat causing everyone to look at her. "Guys I'm picking up some residual tension from, I'm guessing, Cheryl's Random Act of Cruelty earlier." Athena furrowed her eyebrows as a chorus of 'no' came from the couple.

"What happened?" Athena asked causing everyone to get awkward quick. "We'll talk about it later. It is understandable. Fear you not though, I have just the antidote. Step one. Clothes off, swimsuits on." Athena locked eyes with Archie, slight fear in them as she had no clue what was happening.

wow it's been a hot minute. I have no clue why but I got real inspired real quick to write this. Also, I heard shit about season three and I mean wtf is happening. Is anyone still in love with the show? Anyways, I love y'all. I think Cigarette Daydreams is at like 145K and this is at 50K is unbelievable like this was my first fanfic and I'm so grateful.

Thanks, Queenie.

(UNEDITED)