CHAPTER FIVE

"If I fall, can you pull me up?Is it true, your watching outAnd when I'm tired, do you lay down with me?In my head, so I can sleep without you?"

Is it true, your watching out
And when I'm tired, do you lay down with me?
In my head, so I can sleep without you?"

Athena had noticed the way the town had turned dark during the days since Fred's shooting. Pop's, their spot, had been nicknamed the death diner and so that it had become. A ghost town. A once vibrant place where laughter and the sound of milkshake slurping could be heard, now silent with not a soul in the place. "It's another win for the bad guys. No one was there. His entire staff quit. He's not sure how long he'll be able to keep the doors open. Maybe not even a week." Jughead sighed as the friends sat at the blue school bench with the sun shining brightly.

"It's because of what happened to my dad. People are freaking out. I gotta be honest. I don't see myself going back soon." Archie looked at Athena as she rubbed his shoulder in an attempt to comfort him. She knew of the struggles he was going through, just not the extent. "Wait, I'm sorry. Am I hearing acceptance? I'm not letting one psychopath with a gun dictate what happens to our place. Jug, you went crazy trying to save the drive-in." Betty said to the group who hung their heads in shame.

"I can't take on any more social issues right now. My hands are full" Jughead sounded like he had a crack in his shield, his father becoming a more and more delicate subject by the hour. "With your dad, of course. And he should be your priority." Jughead sighed, sad that he disappointed his girlfriend who appeared to have teary eyes, looking away. "I'll take point on helping Pop Tate." She turned her head back to the group with a shrug "Nah uh, Betty Cooper. You're not doing this alone. I'm in." Athena told Betty causing the girl to smiled graciously.

"I'll help too, Betty. Anything to get me away from my parents, I'm in." The three girls smiled at each other whilst Jughead let out a little chuckle. "The Charlie's Angels are back at it again. Helping to make lives a little better one chock'lit shoppe at a time." He quickly stood up before giving his friends an explanation. "I gotta jet. I'm off to meet my dad's court-appointed joke of a lawyer at the sheriff's station." Jughead packed his bag up before swinging it over his shoulder.

"Let me come with you, Jug. I gotta drop some flyers off for Sheriff Keller." Archie finished eating before standing up and bending down to give Athena a kiss. "Bye." The short quick peck made Athena swoon as the men walked away. "God, he's gorgeous." Athena muttered to herself before turning to her smirking friends "What?" The girls just shook their heads before they got started on their Pop's plan.

Athena rarely was called before school in the morning and if she was it was a serious issue. Which is why when Betty called concerned about Archie, she raced there and before she knew it, she was knocking on the red wooden door. She noticed Archie walking towards her and as he swung it open with no shirt on she couldn't help but ogle. "My eyes are up here." he joked causing Athena to roll her eyes before stepping in and crossing her arms.

"So, a strange call from Betty this morning. She tells me that your room hasn't been used for its purpose and you haven't been sleeping in your bed. Care to share the reason?" Athena knew it wasn't anything sinister, but it was still a concern to her. The two walked towards the school as Archie finally explained where he was spending his nights.

"What was your reason again?" She asked before receiving a huge sigh. "So, I can... watch the doors. So, I can make sure no one comes in. I know it sounds crazy, but the guy who shot my dad is still out there, Athena. And I'm scared he's going to come back and finish the job." Athena sighed before looping her arm into his.

"Archie, I completely understand. What happened in Pop's was traumatic, even for me and I can't even imagine what's going through your head, I have a something that could maybe help you." Athena told him causing the boys head to snap down to her face. "What is it?" He asked. "Mrs. Burble. She has helped me through all my trauma and shit that I have gone through." Archie sighed at the mention of the student counselor but considered it. "I'll think about it." The two part ways, Athena making her way to the Blue and Gold offices.

"We can't let the terrorists win. We need to host an event at Pop's that reminds the town of simpler times. A throwback to when the shoppe first opened its doors." Athena was with Betty all the way. The memories and the milkshakes there kept Athena going. "Betty... I like a good milkshake as much as any girl, and Pop's puts Serendipity 3's to shame, but why this hill to die on?" Betty let out a chuckle before smiling enthusiastically at the group.

"Orange freezes with my mom and Polly after ballet. Chicken noodle soup with my dad after ice skating. Grilled cheeses with Archie and Athena on the last day of summer vacation. It's where I met you for the first time, V. It's where I met both of you for the first time. Also Jug. He may lose his dad, but maybe I can save this one place for him, for all of us." The group all nodded before turning to the knocking at the door.

"Hey, Veronica. May I speak to you?" An older looking man walks into their room wearing a full black suit to complement Veronica's equally as black outfit. "Daddy?" Veronica says causing the other three to mimic her words in shock. The pair left the room, leaving the rest in a state of shock.

"I'd call him daddy." Athena nodded, impressed with the genes in that family. "What?" Kevin laughed out causing Athena to nod without looking at them. As Veronica came back, they brainstormed the event which they concluded that they ultimately needed the river vixens. Athena, no longer apart of said group, walked beside Veronica and Betty in their training uniform towards Josie and Cheryl.

"Ed, Edd, and Eddy. Just in time to meet our newest recruit." Josie stood there looking proud of herself while Cheryl also resembled the face of happiness which was pretty rare. "In addition to my duties as a Pussycat. And I just wanna say, girls, I'm so excited to work on my moves and to be a team player, as long as I'm in the front." The last comment caused people to scoff as they had been part of the River Vixens for years.

"Wait, Cheryl, does that mean you're taking the Vixens back from me?" Veronica tilted her head with a confused look on her face. "But really, Veronica, were they ever yours?" After they had had their little spat, Athena nudged Betty forward as if to say 'this is the best chance you're gonna get.' "Cheryl, we were wondering if maybe the Vixens would help at an event to save Pop's." Josie smiled brightly as did Cheryl which usually meant that the answer was no.

"Oh, Betty, I did not emerge from the frozen depths of Sweetwater River nor the flames of Thornhill to allow my Vixens to sling milkshakes at some death-cursed diner. The answer is a doubles-cherry-on-top no." Cheryl gave them one last smile before shooing them away.

Dear god that episode was some good shit. Jughead killed me just when he started crying and dear lord that killed me. Also when Weatherbee told the class about the dead cougar I almost wanted to clap, that was beautiful.

Thanks, Queenie.

(EDITED)