CHAPTER EIGHT

"Why did love, why did love put a gun in my hand?Why did love put a knife in my heart?Why did love open up my scars?"

Why did love put a knife in my heart?
Why did love open up my scars?"

"Hey, what happened last night?" Athena and Betty walked into the student lounge where Kevin sat reading. The pair were confused when the boy hadn't shown up to The Pembrooke and then didn't answer their texts. "You said you were coming to Veronica's. You missed out on meeting Daddy Lodge." Athena said, sitting down across from him and throwing her bag to the side.

"Yeah, something came up." The boy didn't elaborate and turned his eyes back to the book in his hands with a slight smile on his face. Athena nudged Betty and raised her eyebrows as if to say 'We have to say something!' "Something in the woods?" Betty chuckled whilst leaning forward.

"You guys, don't take this the wrong way, but how many time did I listen to you two go on about Archie and now Jughead? Did you ask my permission to date them? No. Because you didn't need it. And I don't need yours." Kevin said calmly making eye contact with both of them and smiling politely.

"We're just concerned, Kev." Athena sighed giving her friend a supportive smile. "Dating is one thing. This is--" Betty was cut off by a slightly annoyed Kevin. "It's none of your business. I'll, uh, catch you later." He shoved his book back in his bag before walking out of the room, leaving the girls stunned. "So, button-down Kevin Keller has a sex drive. So what?" Cheryl popped up from behind a green chair next to them and sat where Kevin was moments ago.

"So, it's putting him in danger. Why won't he just stop?" When Betty laid out the reasons, Athena looked at her sister with suspicious eyes. Why is Cheryl so interested in this? "Oh, Betty. How little you know of the human psyche. Kevin used to be a lonely, awkward fat boy with acne. Now he's a smoke show." Athena nodded a little, understanding what her sister was getting at. "And?" Betty questioned, still not understanding.

"In his mind, he's still that unattractive Pugsley. Kevin wants validation, connection, even if he has to find it in the woods. Even with a killer on the loose. Even if you don't approve." Cheryl smiled before leaving the two girls to ponder over her statement. "Betty, she's right. What are we going to do about it?" Athena sighed before looking at her blonde friend who started off into nothing before turning back to her friend. "I honestly have no idea." Betty scrunched up her face before sighing again.

+ + +

Athena had been searching for her boyfriend all day but all she could find were The Red Circle posters sprawled all over the school. She finally spotted the boy walking away from his locker which triggered her into a sprint. "Arch!" The redhead turned around and smiled before spotting the poster crumpled up in her hand. His smile faltered a little bit before swooping her into a hug.

"Archie, you cannot distract me by giving me affection. It is nice though." Athena jumped away and pointed to the posters surrounding them. "What are these?" She spun in a circle and pointed all around her before turning back to him. "I want to protect people. I want to protect this school. I-I want to protect you." Archie smiled at her placing his hands on her cheeks causing them to crinkle her eyes.

"Archie, you're already my hero and I get it-" She swatted away his hands. "Athena, I'm doing this and you can't stop me." Athena nodded sadly, placing a quick peck on his lips before turning around to leave. She felt his hand grab her wrist and she was swung into Archie's chest who wrapped his arms around her so tight, she felt she would suffocate.

"You mean so much. Don't be mad." They pulled apart and Athena wrapped her arms around his neck as he kept his tight around her waist. "I couldn't ever possibly be mad with you wanting to protect. I'm just scared." Archie's features softened before he ever so gently pressed his lips against hers. She smiled into the kiss and melted into him. He tasted like chocolate for some reason which made her chuckle.

"Get it, Andrews." Reggie was heard passing them and shouting towards the two. Athena stretched out her arm and gave him her middle finger before they split apart. Athena continued her day and after school, she studied in the library before waiting at the front of the school for her walking buddy. "Ethel, you ready to head home?" The Muggs girl and Athena had been walking home together ever since Athena moved into the house a few houses down from hers.

"Yeah, let's go." The two began the walk home on the misty roads, chatting about school and other things before they both noticed a car following behind them slowly. "Ethel, call someone and I'll make sure they don't come near us." Athena slowed her pace down until Ethel was in front of her as they walked slowly the car drove up right beside the two. Ethel was on the phone to someone but Athena didn't care who as long as someone was able to come.

"Ethel, run!" Ethel ran in front of Athena as she jogged behind the girl keeping an eye on the car.

"Into the bushes, now." Ethel ran to the far side of the bushes whereas Athena ran to the other side, making sure that the car focused on her and not Ethel. Athena's hands shook as she watched the car circle the bush three times before driving away. "Ethel, stay where you are until whomever you called gets here. Okay?" Athena got a shout back in reply and she squatted down until she heard a car drive up and footsteps in front of her.

"Athena! Ethel!" She jumped out at the sound of Reggie's voice and fell out of the bushes in front of him. "You really do have a habit of getting yourself in trouble." Reggie chuckled before handing her his jacket to warm the girl whose clothes were damp from the bushes. "Thanks." She smiled at the boy before he threw his arm over her as her teeth chattered. "Athena, oh my god." Athena gasped at her boyfriend sprinting towards her before enveloping her in his arms. Reggie tossed his arm off her shoulders before walking back towards his car.

"Are you okay? Please tell me you're okay?" Archie had his face nuzzled in her neck as Athena stroked his soft ginger hair. "I'm okay. Is Ethel okay?" Athena spun her head around until she saw the girl sitting safely in Reggie's car. "Yeah, Yeah. She's fine. Thank god, you're alright." He kissed the top of her head before leading her back to the car.

+ + +

Days later, Athena watched the video where her boyfriend threatened the man who killed his ex-lover and attempted to kill Moose, Midge, and his father. She was scared. He was doing so much good but at what cost. Athena just hoped that in the end, he was not the target.

I really should not be writing this I have a really important exam in 3 days, oh my god. Did anyone else think that Kevin getting stabbed was real cause I got really shook, real fast.

Thanks, Queenie

(EDITED)