The illness 1) physical

Harley lay in bed coughing. She coughed until she couldn't breath. She had one arm around her stomach and her other hand covering her mouth.

Joker burst through the door an injection in his hand. The liquid was a milky green colour.
"Baby try this." Harley couldn't stop coughing. Her knees were now up to her chest and she was scared she would pass out. Joker pulled her onto his lap and comforted her while she coughed. Once she stopped he held her for a moment.

"You ok baby?" Harley nodded and lay her head on him. He picked the injection off the bed side table.
"Ok baby try this. Frost thinks this should work." Harley got off his lap and held her arm out. Joker found her vein and injected the liquid into her.

It had been three months since Harley got ill and nothing was working. They didn't know what it was or how to stop it. Joker spent all his time working on an antidote.

He kissed Harley's forehead gently.
"Let me know you you feel in a little bit ok pumpkin?" Harley nodded and closed her eyes. Joker stroked her hair a few times before leaving to go see Frost.

Joker put the needle on his desk and sat down his head in his hands. Frost was in the corner of the room in front of him loads of glass bikes and tests tubes with different coloured liquids in. There were stood left right and centre with things bubbling everywhere.
"How did it go sir?" Frost said pouring the contents of one test tube into another, Joker lifted his head and shrugged.
"She was having another coughing fit when I went up there and she went blue. For a moment I thought I had lost her but she is sleeping now. What are we going to do if we can't find a cure for her? I can't lose her and she can't go to hospital they will let her die." With that they heard a huge thud come from the room above them.

Joker got out his chair and bolted up stairs as fast as he could. He opened the door and Harley was in bed but her water bottle was on the floor.
"Don't fucking do that! You scared the life out of me harl! I thought something had happened to you!" Harley's eyes filled with sadness as she watched her boyfriend scream at her.
"I'm sorry Mr J. I didn't mean to." He sighed and walked over to the bed sitting next to her. Joker pulled her into him.
"I'm sorry baby. I just got worried. I can't lose you." Harley smiled weakly. She knew in herself that there was no coming back from this. For her there was no getting better now and she had accepted it but he couldn't.
"Can I tell you something Puddin?" Harley asked knowing she had to tell him. He nodded and she sat up looking at him.
"There is no getting better for me. I want my last bit of time spent with you. Even if it's just cuddling and watching films. I love you and I know the time I have left is precious." Joker grit his teeth.
"Don't you dare say that!" Harley braced herself for the back hand she knew was coming, but it never did. Harley opened her eyes and he was gone. She sighed and slid back down in the bed. She needed him to except it otherwise he wouldn't spend any time with her before she went. She didn't care about a cure, she just wanted to spend time with him.

Joker stormed through the door of his office.
"Everyth."
"Get out!" Joker screamed at frost before he could finish his sentence. Frost put everything down and walked out the room. Joker put his head in his hands and cried. If Harley had excepted her death than maybe there was no cure. Maybe she knew there was no saving her. Joker couldn't bare the thought of losing her, he couldn't bring himself to come to terms with it. He looked up at a picture he had on his desk of Harley. It was taken a week before she got ill. Her skin glowing, her hair in bright colours and her eyes sparkled. Joker picked up the picture and kissed Harley gently. He put the picture down and headed back upstairs.

"Harley baby." Joker said opening the door slightly. He saw Harley asleep on the bed.
"Harley?" He said slightly louder, still no response. His heart began to race. He walked over to the bed and nudged her.
"Harley!" Still nothing. Joker began to panic. He grabbed Harley's shoulders and pulled her up. Tears streamed down his face as he pulled her onto him lap. "Come on Baby please." He felt her wiggle a little before she opened her eyes. He started to cry tears of relief. He pulled Harley into him squeezing her slightly.
"What's wrong Puddin?" He planted kisses all over her face.
"I thought I lost you." He said crying into her. Harley couldn't help but smile. She put her arms around his neck and kissed him. He could feel how dry her lips were against his.
"Baby you need to drink." He said handing her a glass of water. She took a couple of sips before handing it back to him. He placed it down and held Harley tight. She felt so safe in his arms like nothing, not even her illness, could hurt her.