the new year jumper

After season 6

Characters:
Nya
Lloyd
Kai
Cole
Jay
Zane

Mentioned character:
P. I. X. A. L.

______________________________________
"Look, it's-!", Jay ran up to a flyer in a dark alley and snatched it off a wall. After a few seconds of examination he froze. "us..."

"What? Let me see", Kai glanced over his shoulder and widened his eyes. "...damn"

They all had their time to examine the flyer, which was in fact a wanted poster. A wanted poster of them. Zane was sure that it wasn't the police's doing, it's not like they were the villains (if only they remembered season 6 lol), but rather a gang of criminals who had put a bounty on their heads. A rich gang of criminals because the reward was enormous.

"One million for each dead body", Lloyd read with a frown. "That's a lot"

Time skip 3 days

"The new year festival is tonight, everyone ready?", Lloyd asked the team.

"Yup", Cole confirmed.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?", Zane asked with worry.

"Yeah, now when more people are after us, it's not that smart to go out in the open", Jay added.

"It'll be fine, we're ninja. No one will catch us, much less kill us", Kai said.

"...right", Nya said with a skeptical look.

Even with their doubts, they set course towards New Ninjago City. There were thousands of colorful lanterns lightening up the city and it was a marvelous sight to see from up above. Lots of people had gathered for the special event, and it was hard for them to find a place to land. They finally found a suitable and empty spot on the outskirts of Ninjago City, slightly hidden behind boulders.

"Alright, remember why we're here", Lloyd said as he fixed his black fedora.

"Hide in plain sight, protect the city, something along those lines, yeah?", Cole asked.

"But we shouldn't split up. Bad things happen when we split up", Jay warned.

"Bad things always happen", Kai retorted. "Be careful everyone, who knows what will happen"

"See ya at midnight!"

Time skip 2 hours

The ninja had split up, but in pairs. Zane was further away from the center of the city, where there was lots of traffic. It was odd.

Nothing much happened. Some drunken people here, some speedy drivers there, but nothing the traffic police can't handle. He mostly watched the fireworks lightening up the sky in vibrant colors. It was 11:39 p.m, and he decided that it was time to meet up with the others. Cole had already left 20 minutes ago.

As he started to walk, he saw a poster similar to the one they found three days ago. Except...

There were pictures of each ninja, but the one with Jay was scribbled over with a ruby mark(♦). Zane frowned in confusion and worry. 'Does it mean what I think it means...?'

He dropped the thought and hurried to the city hall, where they've decided to meet beforehand. It was a decent distance he had to walk, and the crowding didn't make it any better.

"Zane, wait!"

Zane turned around and saw Kai running out of a hotel and towards him. "What were you doing there?"

"I... I had to go to the restroom", he panted. As he had caught his breath he straightened up. "Alright, let's go"

"Wait, where's Nya?", Zane asked as they started to walk.

"She went to see Jay", he rolled his eyes as he said that, taking off his hood and cap to fix his hair.

Time skip 15 minutes

When the two ninja reached the city hall, Cole, Nya and Lloyd was already there.

"Wait, where's Jay?", Cole asked the others in a confused manner.

"Last time I saw him he said Lloyd wanted him", Nya answered.

"I texted him to come back to his post, but he never came", Lloyd frowned and turned his head towards Nya.

"We need to go look for him", Kai said and the others nodded.

They split up in search for the lightning ninja, and Zane overheard a conversation between a mother and her child.

"Mommy, look! He looks like the blue ninja!"

"Oh my, you shouldn't look at that, honey"

Zane perked up at the mention of the blue ninja and went to check. On the pavement lay a boy on his back. There was clear splatter of brain and blood and ruptured organs in at least a two foot radius around the spot of impact. Blood ran down his mouth and ears.

"Jay? Jay is that you?", Zane asked as he pushed trough the crowd and ran over to the body. He grabbed Jay's wrist, but it felt like a plastic bag containing 1/3 jelly and 2/3 glass shards. "Pixal, can you do a quick X-ray on him?"

"On it", she said. After what felt like an eternity she responded. "The tendons and ligaments are intact, as well as his cranium and mandible. Several bones are fractured or shattered. His chances of survival are: zero. I'm sorry, Zane"

He couldn't help but cry as the cheery shouting of "happy new year!" and sirens was heard in the background.

Time skip 2 days

The coroner and her assistant quickly announced him dead before leaving with the body. They didn't find anything out of the ordinary except for a note with a ruby mark. The news were all about it and suspicions about suicide rose.

Zane was doing laundry when he noticed a black bandanna among the rest of the clothes. He didn't recall anyone wearing it though.

He didn't think about it much as his thoughts was on Jay, who recently passed away. 'Suicide? He didn't seem to be one who would do that...'

When he was done he left the room and looked for something more to occupy himself with. He set his mind to clean their storage room.

As he was doing so he noticed a duffle bag tucked away in a corner. There was a note on it, attached to its thick fabric strap.

"'Congratulations, here's your prize'", Zane read out loud. He was curious of the content and opened the bag.

Inside was filled to the brim with 1 000 bills.
______________________________________
Author: I had to study on how a body looks like after a great fall, I'm so happy that I'm not disgusted easily

Jay: thank you AstridHofferson892 for making this request, although your comment doesn't seem to be anywhere in the book anymore

Zane: good that the author screenshot every request and first answer, yes?

Author: thank goodness for that, anyway-

Everyone: BYE AND HAPPY SEARCHING DETECTIVES!