34

"Rosa..you don't understand, he's seriously messed up" Tyler pleads. I sit down on a nearby bench. "Look Tyler, what happened between me and him was a mistake, it's his fault he's in this state," I say, taking a deep breath.

"You are one of the best girls I know, and he's my best friend since forever. I'm not going to be like everyone else. I'll support you two, I'll be jealous of him obviously, but I won't despise you, it's not like you two are related. So all I'm saying is to help him, doesn't mean you have to work but just be there for him. Please"

"Okay, I'll try," I say. He smiles and stands up. He points to his car, "I'll take you to him" he says. We drive in silence down the Los Angeles roads. We pull up outside the familiar apartment I had once been in. "Floor 3, apartment B. Good Luck" Tyler says, patting my back.

I step into the elevator. My nervous hands clicking the number 3. The lift beeps then open its doors to the 3rd floor. I take a deep breath and step out, ringing B's doorbell.

It takes him 3 minutes to get to the door. He opens it in just his boxers. His hair is disgusting and messy. And huge bags are formed under his eyes. The smell of smoke and weed sweep under my nose.

"Shittttt Rosa, I didn't know you were coming." He says, rubbing his eyes. "Neither did I" I mutter under my breath. "Come in I guess. It's a mess, sorry" he says, opening the door wider. I walk into the living room, take out boxes are scattered around the sofas and tables. Lucas really was a mess.

He sits in a slightly clean part of the sofa, So I perch on the end. "Tyler told me you were struggling," I say. "No shit Rosa! Look at me" He shouts. "Woah calm down," I say. He looks at me. "Sorry, I'm just so screwed." He says with a sympathetic look.

"How are you doing?" I say hoping he won't flip at what I just said. "Brooke told everyone at school, So I'm done with that, I have no friends apart from Dom and Tyler who have given up on me. Oh and you have to"

"Look Lucas, I love you. But it's not right. We would ruin everything your mum and my dad have, and I'm going back to London in 4 days!" I say. At that moment, tears begin streaming down his face.

"I need you, Rosa, I won't manage with you gone. I haven't done drugs since you first saw me at that party. I felt ashamed. Now, look at me. I'm helpless. I could die if I don't sort myself out."  He snuffles.

I reach out my hand and place it on his cheek to wipe off the tears. "It's okay, we can get you some help, we'll sort this out once and for all," I say.

"Rosa, I should tell you something, about my dad." He says, moving my hand to his leg. I nod.

"He was a druggie, alcoholic, a shit father basically. But I loved him. He helped me with school, sport. He loved his kids. But not his life. He would drink every night, deal drugs with his friends, sleep with any women he could. Mom stayed with him because she felt bad. Then something bad happened. He raped Brooke. He hurt Brooke. I had dumped her a few months ago, we had nothing in common. But she told me what my dad did and said she wouldn't get him arrested if I got back with her. So I did. She shut up about my dad. He was getting worse. One day I got home, my mom was sitting on the sofa, she was crying her eyes out. She sat me down and told me he had overdosed. I fell apart. And somehow ended up like him. But I don't want to be like him, Rosa! He was a horrible man. You saved me"

Just like that, I was crying my eyes out, So was he.