39 Days Until Graduation

{Day 1: 39 more to go}

~~Virgil~~

I trudged up the steps of the school, earphones in and my music blasting.

'We'll stay drunk, we'll stay tan, let the love remain
And I swear that I'll always paint you
Golden days!'

I couldn't help hum along. Picking up my pace, I made it to my homeroom on time. Taking my seat at the back next to my best (and only) friend, Logan. I slumped against the back of my chair and took out a single earphone.

"Sup" I sighed, turning to him.

"You are on time today. A first." He stated casually.

"Yeah well, first day back. I don't wanna get noticed." He nodded in an understanding way.
"How's work?"
"Easier than when I started."
"Good."
I smiled in content. That was until Miss Fall walked in, immediately making me miserable again. I left my right earphone in, hidden by my arm as I leaned against my hand.

The teacher began to call names, I filled with dread as I waited for mine.
"Alexia?"
"Here!"
"Charlie?"
"Here miss!"
"Logan?"
"Present."
"Megan?"
"Yup!"
She went through a few more before getting to mine last. Our stupid school registers alphabetical order using first names unless they have the same first name. Why? Who knows!?

"Virgil?" I raised my hand but said nothing. She nodded and continued to instruct us.

***

I made it to first period after receiving my timetable. I slouched against the back wall as she assigned us seats. Music. I loved this class but it was filled with theatre kids. Which I wouldn't normally mind, except... him.

As the teacher pointed me to my seat, I sighed knowing it would be a long year, I had to sit next to him.

"Emo Nightmare." He narrowed his eyes.
"Princey." I mimicked. He rolled his eyes and got out his books. I took out my earphones and did the same.

"Purple and black books?" He muttered, "Emo much." It was my turn to roll my eyes.

***

Finally. It was lunch. I made my way to the small coffee machine in the cafeteria and grabbed two black coffees.

Slowly, I made my way into the library to see Logan sat at one of the tables to the right. Placing a coffee in front of him, I sat down. He looked up from his book and thanked me before taking a bite of his apple.

"Virgil? Do you not have lunch, again?" He swallowed the piece of apple he had previously bitten off. We went through this routine often, as the odd occasion I would bring lunch, to avoid this.

"Nope. But seriously it's fine!" I replied causlly. But, as expected, he offered half his ham salad sandwich, causing me to whine.

"Virgil. It is unhealthy and you must eat." He insisted. Normally I would have complained more but I was unusually hungry and in a decent mood.

"Thank you." He said, as I reluctantly took the half.

~~Roman~~