Prologue

It wasn't strange to know what you wanted to be at the age of 13, you had never been the kind of kid that wanted to be a princess or a cowboy because it sounded like a cool job to have. you always knew that those were not realistic dreams to have, maybe it had a lot to do with the fact that from a young age your parents had made it known that they wanted you to become a nurse like your older sister. Everything was perfect as long as you were like your sister. 

By the time you was 13 you knew all you cared about was music and by then you had more than your fair share of awards from Piano competitions and journals full of songs that you had written as a pastime. Your parents at first thought it was a joke when you told them you wanted to make music, blood just wasn't your thing but you were passionate about making music as they realized it wasn't a joke they began to disagree with the lifestyle that you wanted for yourself. Who would want their daughter to pursue a career as a singer-songwriter? That's why you weren't surprised when one day after school your mother informed you that if you continued to go against their wishes and decided to continue making music you were not allowed to live under the same roof as them.

That night you walked out of the house you had lived in your entire life with a bag full of clothes, your guitar, your lyric book and a sketchbook. With the money you had saved from working over the summer with a family friend you bought a one way ticket to the only place you knew you would be able to make your dreams come true. Seoul.

By the time you turned 14, a year later after leaving your family you were living in the streets; using your guitar to make money and using a convenience store bathroom to look presentable. you were starting to believe that maybe your parents were right and that you should return back home and do whatever it was that they wished for you. You were starting to think that you should just go ahead and forget your dream of doing something with music.

You never really returned home.

One morning on your way to the convenience store you saw a little old lady struggling with her bags, you rushed to help her and just like that you met the person that to this day is still the biggest blessing in your life. She said her name was Mun Seung and she asked you a lot of personal questions that you answered without questioning back.

She made you feel like you could rely on her from the very beginning. From what you remember, she invited you to a cafe at the corner of the street and by the time the two of you had stopped talking it was noon.

She then invited you to her home, provided you with clean clothes and a room to sleep in. It wasn't until later that you learned that you had reminded her of her daughter who had passed away about two years before. She became like the mother you had wished for all along. She took care of you and in return you took care of her.

At first it was strange, she helped you sign back up in school and even bought all the things you needed to continue your education. When you found a job a few weeks later you started helping out at home, you wanted to pay her back and for a while that was your only goal.

It wasn't until one night when you had come home tired from work that she said she had something for you. You were confused at first until she led you into your living room and introduced you to the most beautiful piano you had ever seen. You were never allowed to use the piano back at home so it had been quite a long time since you had actually been allowed to play a key. She said she loved listening to you play the guitar at night when you thought she was asleep and she was dying to listen to you play the piano for her.

When your fingers had traced the keys, you felt like you were finally becoming yourself again. The feeling of excitement that you got when you were younger and learning how to play for the first time was the same feeling you had as you sat on the stool for the first time in a long time with Seung smiling at you from the other side of the room. That night, Seung reminded you why you had come all the way to Seoul all on your own and that you shouldn't give up your dreams that fast.