Chapter 13: Basilisks

Nico POV

A couple weeks passed since Hermione got petrified. I would check up on her occasionally, though not for long, as Harry and Ron didn't appreciate it very much. They still hadn't made the little apology I was allowing them, so we didn't talk. I would frequently hear them talking about a basilisk.

I was wondering what the would want with those little (and by that I mean fairly large), demon snakes. I kept trying to listen in on their conversations, and by what I gathered, Hermione had figured that one was going around the vents and petrifying students. I didn't even know this school had vents, or that basilisk could petrifying people, so it was news to me.

I was sitting at a table in the corner of the library where there were plenty of shadows, when Ron and Harry came in. They sat at a table near me, although they didn't notice that I was there. They started talking, so I listened in.

"That bloody git is gonna kill us all." I hear Ron whisper to Harry.

"W-Well. We don't know if he's actually the heir." He whispers back.

"Well it's probably not you, so it has to be him." Ron says. I clench my fists, knowing who he was talking about.

"Ron. I know he's suspicious, but Nico wouldn't hurt Hermione, right?" I'm trying not to lash out at them and reveal my cover.

I must have not done a good enough job, because they started to shiver.

Harry POV

As Ron and I talk about Nico and our suspicions about him, the temperature drops. I shiver and notice the shadows almost crawling towards the corner. I look back in fear towards the table there and try not to shriek. Nico is sitting there with his head down and fists clenched, shadows draining towards him.

He stands up, pushing the chair behind him. He quickly walks by without a word, shadows clinging to him. He storms out of the room and slams the door. I shudder and exchange a look with Ron. His face seems to say, 'I told you so.'

Nico POV

I storm out of the library, slamming the door. I keep walking through the school, not entirely knowing where I'm going. I end up at a door. The infirmary. I guess I'm visiting Hermione. I enter and sit down in one of the chairs by her bed. I usually don't do anything during this except look for any injuries that could tell what the monster is.

No moving from my seat, I look down her arm, looking for any signs of blood. My eyes stop at her hand. I'm about to leave, deeming this pointless, when I notice something in her hand.

I quickly reach forward and gently pull the piece of paper from her immobile hand. I unfold it and read it, my eyes widening as I do so. A basilisk. The pipes. The petrifications. I sigh, standing back up and start heading back to the library.

Harry and Ron are still sitting at the same table, reading some books on monsters. They look up when I approach the, fear in their eyes.

"What do you want?" Ron snaps, Harry nodding along with him.

I place the paper on the table. "This was in Hermione's hand. I hope it will come as some... help for you. My voice calm and eerie.

"Nico..... Thanks." Harry sounds relieved.

I turn and start walking away. "I still don't forgive you."

"Oh."