Chapter 16: Starting Again

Photo found by Dancing_inthe_Storm

Nico POV

I gaze out at the grounds of Hogwarts as I sit on the edge of the window of the astronomy tower. I was wearing my regular clothes as we left tomorrow for home, and my robes were packed. After I had passed out in the chamber, apparently Fawkes had carried us all out and back into the girls washroom. From there, Harry and Ron had brought Lockhart and I to the infirmary where I had woken up a few hours later. Harry had told Ron everything that had happened, so I don't think either of them hate me anymore. I sigh and stand back up, turning around to face the empty classroom.

I climb down the ladder and start traveling down the stairs when I see the cloak. Harry and Ron are underneath it, watching me from across the huge stair room. I ignore them and continue walking. I make it to the entrance hall and stop, sitting against the wall and just looking around, thinking of the chamber. What had that spell done to me, and why did it even exist? I can hear Harry and Ron shuffling into the hall, whispering to each other. I don't think they know I'm here, so I decide to play along, not watching them. They eventually walk right past me, and I let out a chuckle, making them freeze.

"You aren't very stealthy." I stand up, wincing from the lasting soreness from the spell. I reach out and swipe the cloak right off of them, smirking at their shocked faces. "So where Hermione, why aren't you including her on your little adventure."

Hermione, along with the other petrified students, had been fully restored thanks to madame Pomfrey and Professor Sprout.

"Uh, She, uh, didn't want to come, said she was tired." Harry spluttered.

Ron looks down guiltily. "Look mate, I'm sorry for blaming you, I thought you had hurt my sister."

Harry nods, agreeing with him.

I take a shakey breath at the familiarity of those words. "It's fine Ron. It's not that hard to hold grudges. We still can't be friends quite yet, and I'm assuming that you'd be fine with that, but maybe we can just... start over." I stick out my hand. "Hi, I'm Nico di Angelo, second year Slytherin. I'm looking forward to being of your acquaintance."

Harry smiled and shook my hand, followed by Ron as they reintroduced themselves.

"Now, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, you should probably not do whatever it was you were doing." I shoo them away. They smile and nod, heading back to their dorm. I sigh and continue wandering the halls until the sun starts to rise. I head back to my dorm, sitting on my bed until the others wake up. They're still nervous around me, since the first year.

Once they start to stir, I get up and leave, since it's probably already breakfast time. I head to the great hall, nodding to the trio. Hermione waves happily, as do the boys. I eat a couple pomegranate seeds, burning the rest. I get my trunk and join the crowd heading to the train, sitting in an empty compartment once we get there.

For the rest of the ride, I think of what I'll have to do this summer. Chasing souls, hunting monsters. Fun times. At the station, i wander around the platform, not really wanting to be targeted again quite yet, when I get pulled into a hug.

I quickly shove the person off. I turn to face whoever it was, hand on my sword necklace, when I see Hermione.

I cough. "Apologies if I seemed rude just then. I, uh, I'm not used to being randomly touched."

Hermione looks guilty, her face red. "Sorry Nico. Um, I hope you have a good summer."

I nod. "You too."

I turn and walk away. No turning back now. I step through the barrier, back into the world of gods and monsters.