Chapter 7: "The Mistake!"

{Normal POV}

A few weeks pass and Mia sits waiting for Chase to get done talking to the hospital lawyer, Stacy.

"You shouldn't sign it. Postponing is almost always the smart thing to do. Tempers cool, memories fade." Stacy says.

"They rule on me, it's done, right?" Chase says.

"Yeah, but..." Stacy says.

"Then let's get it over with." Chase says.

"Have you ever done a peer review before?" Stacy asks.

"No." Chase says.

"Good. Peer's a misnomer. These are your bosses. This could cost you some money, some privileges or it could cost you your career." Stacy explains. Mia peeks into the room as she sort of heard the conversation.

"All I can tell them is what happened." Chase says.

"There is an objective reality to what happened, all they're gonna know is what they picture happened, which depends a little on what you tell them and a whole lot on how you tell them." Stacy explains, "May 11th."

"The patient presented to the clinic." Chase says.

"What's her name?" Stacy says.

"It's in the file." Chase says.

"Do you know it?" Stacy asks, "Then use it."

"Kayla presented to the clinic with multiple joint and stomach pain. Dr. Foreman was called in for a neurological consult." Chase explains. This had been while Mia was studying for her finals.

{May 11th-Same POV}

"What's the point of this?" A guy asks.

"Checking your sister's cerebral coordination." Foreman says.

"The thing is in her leg and her stomach." The guy says, "Wait in the clinic for six hours so she can play patty cake?"

"You could have gone to the ER last night." Foreman says.

"You gonna come over and baby-sit her kids?" The guy asks.

{Present}

"Okay. Patient comes from a family of jerks, I get it." Stacy's voice says as she comments on Chase's story, "Stick to the medicine."

{May 11th}

"Something wrong?" The guy asks.

{Present}

"There was some uveitis." Chase says.

"Meaning?" Stacy asks.

"Her iris, the colored part of her eyes, was inflamed." Chase says.

"Meaning?" Stacy asks.

"Worst case, blindness." Chase says, "But there was an upside. It was weird enough to get House interested."

{May 11th}

"Young woman, joint pain, gonorrhea's a possibility." Cameron says.

"It's polyarticular. Maybe rheumatoid." Foreman says. Chase sits down as he gets a message from Mia. She was heading into her next exam. He wishes her luck.

"That's typically small joints, this hit her knee." Cameron says.

"Takayasu's arteritis." Foreman says.

"Get a sed rate and serologies." House says and Stacy tells Chase to skip over the part about the Vicodin as well as his interpersonal relationship with Mia.

"Might not just be her arteries, could be hall her blood vessels." Cameron says.

"Vasculitis, with stomach pains, so Behcet's." Chase says.

"No, she'd have oral sores. Or genital." Foreman says. Chase explains why he was doing the pelvic exam instead of Foreman.

While doing the exam, he learns about the patient's history and Stacy urges him not mention about his relationship with his father. Chase explains that the patient has some ulceration which confirmed Behcet's.

{Present}

"I gave her some prednisone, an antacid, and I ran a pathergy test on her arm." Chase says. He glances over at where he could see Mia waiting. Today was supposed to be her off day since she didn't have class and wasn't scheduled at the nurse's station. He continues to explain what happened and then Stacy goes to talk to everyone except for Mia because she wasn't there six months ago.

Cuddy is brought into the story and Stacy goes back to House when she takes another break from speaking to Chase. She returns to Chase and he tells her about the events in July. Mia sat at the table listening to the conversation as she didn't really have anything to do with the patient, she was just taking notes of the mystery of the patient's condition. The brother of the patient comes in and starts yelling at House.

They try to calm the brother down. House discovers that the brother has Hep C and Mia blinks confused at the brother. She couldn't believe that the brother would willingly give his sister Hep C. House reveals that the brother might have actually given his sister cancer.

Chase explains how House could have known then they head to see Cuddy about Chase getting sued. Mia goes to wait in House's office. Chase explains the rest of the story as well as reveals the truth that his father died, some he hadn't even told Mia. Mia knew that Rowan was sick, but didn't know when. House reveals to Chase that he knew. Chase goes aboard the board of peers a few days later and Mia waits patiently to hear word. She gets up when Stacy walks over to talk to House. She lets them have some privacy and Mia paces back and forth down the hall. House gets called in and Mia heads over to Stacy. Chase walks out to Mia and she looks at him.

"So? What did they say?" Mia asks.

"Um, one-week suspension, but I'm still a doctor." Chase says and Mia nods.

"Why didn't you tell me that your father died?" Mia asks.

"I didn't want to bother you." Chase says.

"Yeah, well, I worried about these last couple months." Mia says.

"Yeah, I know and I'm sorry for that." Chase says. They head to House's office.

"What's going to happen to Chase?" Cameron asks.

"Now you're fired." House says.

"No, no he's not." Foreman says.

"House, meet your new boss." Cuddy says and points to Foreman. Mia looks at Foreman and her eyes widen.

"Guess I'm his best friend now." Wilson says and Mia tries not to laugh especially when it wasn't a laughing matter.

Later that night, Mia sits beside Robert as they laid in bed. He was laying on his stomach relaxing without a shirt on while Mia had just sat down into bed. She wore one of his shirts over her panties. She found it comfortable to sleep in the shirt that he'd worn that day. She reaches over and places her hand on his shoulder and gently massages a little.

"I know I should have told you." Robert says.

"I don't want to cause a fight, but... when I saw him I saw his cancer tattoo. I knew what it was, or how long he had, but I assumed he'd tell you and you'd tell me when felt like it." Mia whispers.

"Yeah." Robert says as he takes a deep breath and rolls over on his side to look at her, "House knew how long he had and what type of cancer, but he kept me in the dark about it."

"I'm sorry." Mia says and Robert takes her hand and kisses it.

"How about we just agree to tell each other things?" Robert asks.

"I would like that a lot." Mia says.

"Alright, it's late." Robert says and Mia slides under the covers and Robert hug her tightly as they quickly fell asleep with Robert holding Mia tightly in his arms. Mia's head rested against his chest as his chin was against the top of Mia's head.