Chapter 24: Taste It And Tell Me If It's Creamy Enough

Two weeks had passed since the anniversary and I had to admit that I much preferred the new Tyler to his old self. Of course there wasn't a drastic change to his character simply because he was still reserved, grumpy as hell and slept through any class that didn't involve actual baking but something had changed between us.

I couldn't quite pinpoint what it was but I'm sure it had something to with the grateful smiles he kept sending in my direction. They were small enough to give me a teasing glimpse of his dimples and warm enough to heat my insides.

But that wasn't the only change within Tyler these past two weeks. The strangest part was that he actually made conversation with me whilst we baked and it was usually to do with silly things like our opinion on the new movie theatre that had opened up in the mall or whether fries tasted good when dipped in soda. Like I said, really silly things; although watching Tyler speak in such an animated way was enough to make me grin at him like a cheshire cat.

I didn't know what to make of our slowly evolving friendship because there was just too much history between us. We had basically known each other since kindergarten and knew everything about one another's life so it felt weird to be taking baby steps and getting to know each other again. It was probably due to the fact that I was starting to realise that maybe Tyler hadn't changed much at all.

The following week when I walked into class, I was welcomed with the usual sight of him already cracking the eggs into the mixing bowl. It wasn't unusual for him to get to class before me since I had to stop by locker and he understood how much I hated carrying my French textbook around.

As I slung an apron over my head and secured it around my waist, I waded past all the other groups, stopping briefly when Mona flashed me a suggestive wink and jerked her head in Tyler's direction. After giving her a flat look, I strode over to my partner, coming to a halt beside him.

As if he sensed my presence, a blond head glanced up from the mixing bowl and gave me a small smile.

"How was French? Jonah looked happy when he came into class before you," His eyes scanned mine, flickering between them effectively.

Despite his amused smile and teasing tone, Tyler's eyes were fairly serious until he drank in my flat look.

"Well if your idea of 'fun' is being harassed by a neanderthal, having him breath down your neck with dirty jokes and spending five minutes after class looking for your textbook because he hid it in the bin then yes, Tyler, I had a wonderful time in French," I drawled sardonically with an eye roll.

He let out a low chuckle before shaking his head with amusement.

"Can't you just trade seats with someone else?" He suggested, glancing up from the bowl before setting it aside on the counter and turning around to face me completely.

I exhaled slowly and placed a hand on the counter so that it was supporting my entire weight.

"Been there, done that. Didn't work out because Jonah followed me by swapping with my new pair, bribing them with his fist if they didn't move out of the way." I grumbled, flicking my gaze to Jonah who seemed to be laughing at a joke told by his partner Simon. "You'd think he'd have learnt his lesson after last time."

Feeling revolted by the sight of him, I straightened my posture and finally scanned the counter before looking up at Tyler with curiosity. There wasn't any trace of my bad mood around, especially not after feeling the full heat of his smile when he laughed at my disgusted look.

"Watcha making?" I sang, rocking back and forth on my heels as a slow grin crept onto his lips.

He put a finger to his lips as if to motion that it was a surprise but we both knew I was having none of that. After giving him a stern look, he breathed a little laugh and leaned over me to get a crumpled piece of paper that had been flattened onto the counter behind me.