Chapter 54: Please, Please Don't Be Mad At Me

[A/N: Whipped this up in three hours...say what?! Songs for the chapter:
- He Is We // Breathe
- He Is We // Tell Me
]

After Tyler's successful try-out for the soccer team, I sat on the bleachers with Mona everyday for the next week and watched the team practice for their upcoming game. Since he had overcome two hurdles: befriending Blake and getting into the soccer team again, it only seemed fair that I do the same and do something I should have done the day I became friends with Tyler again.

Tell him about my father.

So on the first day of the new month, I sent Tyler a text, asking him to wait for me in the parking lot after soccer practice before I headed to the bathroom quickly to fix crazy curls. I didn't want them to be as knotted and as tangled as my thoughts were today. Not to mention the fact that my stomach was spinning like a washing machine planted on the fastest roller coaster in the world.

My rational thoughts were clouded by my sudden decision to face this lifelong fear. I couldn't even pick between juice or water at lunch until Blake snatched both and paid for them. My friends eyed me warily, but I just chewed my tuna sandwich slowly, hoping that I would be able to keep it down.

I leaned towards the girl in the mirror until we were inches apart. My reflection brought a frown to my face so I pulled off my glasses and splashed cold water on my face to chase away the tired expression but it was permanently etched into my skin like engravings scratched into stone. Pulling my hair out of it's ponytail, I let my natural chestnut curls fall into little bundles around my scarlet coat before scrutinising the rest of my face.

"Stop freaking out, it's about time he knows," I whispered to my reflection as I slipped my glasses back on. "He deserves the truth."

By the time I reached the parking lot Tyler was leaning against the hood of his car with his hands buried under his armpits. Little puffs of water vapour were huddled around his lips every time he exhaled before they disappeared into the air. His sea green eyes brightened up when he noticed me walking towards him.

"You ready?"

I nodded and hurried to the warmth of his car as he quickly slipped in and started the engine.

"So who's this special person I'm meeting today?" Tyler asked as he pulled out of the parking lot.

"You'll see." I smiled discreetly, trying my hardest to keep my voice from wavering as I gave him directions to the cemetery.

**

"We're going to meet Mrs Henderson?" Tyler stared at the florist shop in disbelief.

His eyebrows were bunched together in confusion as I rolled my eyes at him.

"No! For goodness sake! Just bear with me and be patient."

"Fine, whatever." He grumbled as I clamped his wrist and hauled him inside the shop.

The tinkering bell overhead announced our entrance and Mrs Henderson bustled out of the storeroom with her usual warm smile before her azure eyes shimmered with amusement at the sight of the two of us together.

"Tyler and Ashley, what a pleasant surprise!"

Tyler smiled whilst I returned the greeting before asking for the usual order or a seventeen inched velvet red carnation wreath and white lilies accompanied by a single white rose. His ears perked up at the latter part of my order, mouthing "Taylor?" with one eyebrow raised with disbelief. He shuffled closer to him until his chest was pressed against my arm. I quickly pressed a finger to his lips to silence him as Mrs Henderson went to prepare my order. Only then did Tyler start bombarding me with questions, his lips moving a lightening speed against the skin of my forefinger.