Chapter 38: But First, Let Me Take A Selfie

[A/N: Super, super early upload (18 hours *gasps*) because of saintclarity. Thanks for the lovely comments and keep voting everyone. It makes me happy which = faster updates. Js ;) Enjoy the chapter!
Songs for the chapter:
- Ed Sheeran // All Of The Stars
- Coldplay // A Sky Full Of Stars
- He Is We // Breathe
-Taylor Swift // I'm Only Me When I'm With You
]

"Ashley you're being ridiculous!"

"No I'm not!"

Mom laid down her spoon so that it sagged and was swallowed up by her tomato soup. Wispy strands of gold framed her face but she hastily slicked them back before massaging the crease between her taut brow.

"Dr Jillian is willing to charge you nothing for her sessions. She genuinely wants to help you dear."

I viciously bit into my garlic bread and chewed angrily.

"How many times do I have to tell you?" I enunciated each word slowly. "I don't need help because I am absolutely, perfectly and one hundred percent fine!"

Once again, the discussion was brewing into an argument. At this stage Mom would have dropped the matter and carried on eating like she did everyday for the past week, but Dr Jillian had called her this morning and suddenly she was more determined than ever.

I couldn't understand why therapy was a must. It didn't make sense for her to push me into going through with something that put me on edge and made me uncomfortable beyond belief! There was no way in hell that I was going to open up to Dr Jillian after my nightmares got so much worse the last time. I couldn't go through that again. I didn't want to fall asleep sobbing because I was terrified of what I'd see that night.

At least, right now, I had them under control. They weren't seeping into my day and I was perfectly fine as long as my eyes were open. So what if I woke up screaming, at least I wasn't hallucinating in my classes or far worse.

"You're not fine Ashley! You've had bags under your eyes for weeks and don't you dare think I'm deaf to your midnight snacks or when you shuffle around in your room around half past three in the morning!"

I pushed my plate back and stood up; enough was enough.

"How many times are you going to make me say this?" I pursed my lips into a tight line before dragging out my next words very, very slowly. "I'm fine. I'm sleeping fine. I'm eating fine. I'm doing fine Mom!"

She shook her head and stood up but I was already making my escape, abruptly spinning around and heading towards my room.

"Your father wouldn't have wanted this for you! He would have expected you to make the right choice for yourself!" She called out and her voice was followed by the sound of plates hitting the sink.

I froze, leaned against the banister and turned around to eye the front door. Taking deep breaths to hold back an outburst, I stomped up the stairs and blocked out Mom's loud mutters. Just as I flopped down onto my bed, my phone began to vibrate, blaring a ringtone that was assigned to the only person who had a hidden persona of a stereotypical white girl.

I perked up, wondering why he was calling me when it was almost six in the evening. He had dropped me home about two hours ago, forcing me to sort things out with Mom even though he had no idea what was going. My ears relished in the ringtone and I suppressed a laugh when my phone blared: 'But first, let me take a selfie!'

Why did I give in and let him choose his own ringtone? It's like he was obsessed with his 'white girl' persona. Silly jerk. Despite my blackened mood, I leapt up to grab my phone off my bedside table and instantly pressed it to my ear, breathing heavily from the exertion.