Chapter 56: I Wanted To Escape, So I Kept Running

[A/N: Songs for the chapter:
- The Fray // Run For Your Life
- One Republic // Stop And Stare
- Paramore // When It Rains
- Sia // Chandelier]

Curling, smoky hands were wrapped around my throat and suddenly I was choking, gasping and fighting for air. I was fighting for air but I wasn't getting any. The roles were reversed for once and I was the one in the driver seat with the left side of my lower body crushed into the door. There was no telling where flesh began and metal ended; it was just a continuous stream of agonising pain, like I was being cut with a thousand meat cleavers all at once.

"H-Help!" I screeched, pounding at the window as more thick smoke shot down my airways.

Trapped after the collision with the lorry, I was unable to move whereas my father stood outside the car, unscathed.

"Help me! P-Please!"

I was letting loose blood-curdling shrieks of immense agony, writhing about as my eyes rolled back. How much longer could I take this?

"Daddy!" I slammed my palms into the window as he stared at me with an impassive mask, his face devoid of any emotions.

Steam clouded the window and I swiped it with my hands, sobbing as the flames started to nip at my skin like mini insect bites. My screams became more frantic as the fiery pests inched closer, biting mammoth sized chunks out of my skin. Just as I was about to give up, two fists hammered down on the window. Heavy lidded with delirium, I squinted and was met with sea green eyes.

"Ash! Open the door!"

Feebly, I pressed a hand to the window where Tyler's were planted, wishing I could feel his touch for a last time before I let myself go.

"I love you," I mouthed, closing my eyes.

As if a blink could flip everything around, suddenly the roles were reversed and I was the one screaming at Tyler to opened the car door and let me in.

"Tyler! Open the door!" I battered my fists against the window, pounding with all my might as he threw his head back and roared with agony.

Wide eyed, I watched the flames lick his skin like an ice cream, taking large patches of his tanned skin until they bubbled red to reveal his flesh. He continued to roar at me to help him and I continued to try. But as always, I was never good enough.

My face was soaked with soot and tears and I screeched, letting loose a spine-chilling scream when Tyler's feeble hands stopped smacking against the window. All that I could make out beyond the smoke were his pleading sea-green eyes.

"Help me Ash! Help me!"

Gawking at the pool of glowing lava that spilled along the car's interior furnishing, I tried to yank the door open, only to flinch at the scalding metal handle.

"I'm trying!" I whimpered, pressing a hand to the window where his slack palm met mine, separated by blistering glass that burned my skin.

"Ashley," A deep voice called from behind. "Ashley-bear."

Met with molten gold eyes, I swiped my palms over my eyelids to clear my blurred vision as my father strode towards me. He stopped a metre away and gazed at the set of keys that were discarded to the side, suddenly glinting in the blinding sunlight.

"All you had to do was look," He shook his head with disappointment as I lunged for the keys to unlock the car and free Tyler.

A bubble of hope formed inside my throat as I curled my fingers around the winking metal, only to turn around and glance at the driver's seat. A handprint remained where Tyler's palms had previously been pressed against the glass. Bolting to the door, the bubble in my throat burst as I unlocked the door. Blood poured out of the car like a wave crashing into my legs, rendering me speechless as I clamped a hand over my mouth to avoid retching at the sight of his twisted, festered limbs.