Chapter 34: Confrontation With The Bitch

[A/N: Songs for the chapter:
- Taylor Swift // Starlight
- Owl City // All About Us]

On Friday I declined Mona's offer to get ready for the dance at her house because I had to stay behind and retake a French quiz. I only failed the first time around because of Jonah. He wouldn't stop making a pass at me so I spent the entire lesson hissing profanities at him and ran out of time. Maybe the jerk didn't remember much from the party either.

My insides were in a tightly wound in a coil from the anticipation of seeing Tyler, clad in a tuxedo, in exactly two hours. I didn't have class with him today and the entire school was buzzing with excitement for the dance. Half the girls cut their afternoon class to get ready so the hallways lacked the usual clumps of squealing girls. Despite that, I still didn't manage to catch a glimpse of Tyler all day. I even searched from him by going on frequent toilet breaks, hoping to bump into him between classes but the guy was nowhere to be seen.

Who'd have known that Tyler Miller withdrawal symptoms were actually a thing?

Rushing home, I arrived sweaty and clammy from my speedy cycle and sprinted to the bathroom, frantic about having only two hours to get ready.

Since school had finished a few hours ago, most other girls had booked expensive hair appointments to tame their frizz but I only had a good old straightener to solve the bird's nest sprouting from my scalp. I ran a bubble bath and washed my hair with one of Mom's expensive shampoos, scrubbing myself clean until I reeked of jasmines and numerous floral scents.

Once I was out of the bathroom, I lathered myself in scented lotion, climbed into my underwear and spent half an hour dancing around my room to the radio. Mom popped in when the clock was nearing five to remind me that Tyler was due to arrive in an hour so I turned down the volume and started applying my make up.

I wasn't too fond of make up so I shied away from liquid eyeliner, knowing full well that I couldn't apply it with a decent amount of precision. Staring at Mom's makeup bag, I emptied it onto my dressing table and began to panic.

Why were there so many utensils and colours? Cluelessly, I quickly put on my contact lenses and began to apply grey eyeshadow on my eyelid, but the fall-out powder stained my cheeks so I shrieked with frustration and ran to the bathroom to clean my face.

Perturbed, I returned to my room and glanced at my digital alarm clock. I only had thirty minutes to do my hair, makeup and put on my dress.

"Mom!" I called out, flopping on my bed in my dressing gown with my hands cushioning my head. "Mom! I need your help!"

I heard her shuffling around in her bedroom, hoovering the carpet that she had spent the past week complaining about.

"Mom!" I shouted at the top of my lungs.

The vacuum cleaner rumbled to a halt, cut off suddenly so that the house was left in an echoing silence. A few seconds later, her blonde head peeked into my room before she stepped inside wearing a deep scowl.

"Why are you yelling? Tyler is going to be here at six...Oh my god Ashley! Why haven't you put your dress on?"

When her eyes landed on my distressed expression, her features softened and she drank in the sight of the cluttered mess on my dressing table.

"Why can't I put on makeup like other girls? I tried and ended up looking like Krusty the Clown!" I whined pathetically and sat up, leaning on my elbows as she beckoned me over to the dressing table.

"That's because you're beautiful without makeup. Come here and I'll quickly fix you up dear."

Her soft tone made the tight coil of anxiety within my stomach unfurl. Minutes later, I was no longer on the verge of shrieking with panic as Mom dabbed gold eyeshadow on the centre of my closed lid and black on my eye crease before swiping a blending brush to ease the harsh lines between the two colours. She used the black liquid eyeliner I had been to terrified to touch and drew a steady cat-eye flick that looked incredibly precise. Then she outlined my bottom waterline with pencil eyeliner and coated my long lashes with mascara.