Chapter 33: Theoretically, We're Making Out

"Ask him!"

"No!"

"Ask him!"

"I said no!"

Mona's scowl deepened as I gave her a death glare.

Behind us, Blake was oblivious to my hushed argument with his partner - well it started off in hushed tones but now we were kind of shouting at each other in loud whispers. He had his back to us, carefully pouring a chocolate batter into the oven tray.

"If you won't then I will!" Mona threatened.

Planting my hands on the graphite counter dividing us, I leaned forward and met her stubborn gaze, challenging her to stride up to Tyler and ask him to be my date for the homecoming dance this Friday.

Brown eyes regarded me, waiting for me to grow some balls and spit the question out at Tyler. But he was on the other side of the classroom whipping up the cream I had left him with. Occasionally he would glance up from the mixing bowl, scan the classroom before settling his heated gaze on me.

Blinking at Mona, I growled, "You wouldn't dare do that to me!"

She raised a thin eyebrow and a sly grin worked it's way on her wide mouth.

"Wanna bet?"

I reached forward and clamped my hands on her arms which were lain on the counter that separated us, supporting her entire weight. Surprised, she tried to pull free but I just tightened my hold and squeezed until her face twisted with pain.

"Okay! Okay! Fine I won't go up to him!" Mona rambled, cracking under my death glare. "Just let me go Ash!"

Satisfied with her word, I unclasped my hands and took a step back.

"Ow!" She whined, rubbing the red skin that I had just released. "You could have just asked nicely. No need to go all apeshit on my ass unless..." She trailed off and gave me a wicked smirk. "Unless you actually like him."

"I do not!"

She gave me an unconvinced look, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Really? Then why is it impossible to ask him to be your date. You'll be going as friends right?"

I nodded meekly, rubbing a hand over my eyes at the daunting horror that seeped through my chest. What if Tyler laughed in my face and refused to be seen with me? Why would he ever agree to go to with me of all people?

There wasn't really a selection of other guys I could ask, and at Riverdale, turning up without a date was worse than not turning up at all. I don't know who set the crazy standards but the dance was in two days; meaning that I had exactly forty-eight hours to get a date and a dress.

I had thought about asking Simon since Mona had turned him down, but one of Michelle's lackeys swooped in first. Most of the other guys either had a date or were going with girlfriends leaving me with no alternative but my Home Ec. partner.

I was certain Blake didn't have a date either, but that was because he was being strangely picky and turned down all the brave girls who asked him. Mona refused to ask him for that reason, terrified that he would turn her down too, even though I had a good feeling that he only blew off the other girls so he could say yes to her.

Dejected, I slumped my shoulders and stared out of the window as Mona eyed me with an exasperated look.

"Maybe I shouldn't bother going," I sighed heavily.

"No. No. No. Nope. Nuh uh. Hell no. Nada. Not happening. You are going whether you like it or not! Even if I have to walk up to Tyler and ask him for you! You are going to this damn dance, understand?"