Chapter 61: This Is It, A Life For A Life

[A/N: Songs for the chapter:
- Florence + The Machine // Never Let Me Go]

The next few months flew by pretty fast, morphing into an infinite number of days until Finals swept by. That meant that prom was only a week away, stressing Mona out as she dragged me from store to store to buy the 'perfect' dress. Tyler came with me to every weekly therapy session and I had to admit, giving it another go was the best decision I had ever made.

My nightmares had finally stopped being so frequent. The last one I had was at the end of April, just four weeks ago, and it was nowhere near as draining as the previous ones that made me break at the start of the year. Maybe I was getting better, or maybe they'd reached a hiatus. I wasn't too sure. But thankfully, I was scot free since Dr Jillian had sent me to get a test done and I didn't have PTSD.

I was just a messed up kid with recurring nightmares after having suffered a very traumatic experience. That's all.

After Blake's birthday party, Tyler began to pester me to face my fear and surprisingly convinced me to start taking driving lessons. Between practicing using his sports car and panicking profusely, I surprisingly felt ready to pass my test as soon as summer starts. My friends planned to throw me a mini slumber party at Tyler's house just like old times if I manage to pass the first time round. No pressure there, I guess.

Still, I was glad that I was doing well in every aspect of my life. I even managed to excel in my studies and pushed myself back up to straight A's. I spent every waking moment tutoring Tyler, biting back to urge to make out with him instead of solving boring Calculus questions but I was determined to make sure he graduates with everybody else in June.

Things were phenomenally good between us, and I couldn't see what could possibly go wrong now. He was happy. And I was getting there. There wasn't much more a humble girl could wish for.

"So what do you think of this colour? Too red?" Mona held up the seventieth dress of the day, twirling around in tight circles and I snapped out of my daydream.

"Hell to the no," I gagged at the burgundy silk, snatched it out of her hand and shoved it back onto the rack. "It looks like dried period blood with spaghetti straps."

"Ew," She scrunched up her dainty button nose. "Maybe I'll stick with the purple one then."

"Hmm, how about that strapless number over there," I pointed at a sparkly, black dress on a mannequin and her brown eyes lit up like a child's on Christmas day. "It's short enough for your hoohaa to get some fresh air, and tight enough to hug every nook and cranny of your stomach rolls. Blake's gonna drop to the ground when he sees you in this. Not in a good way since he'll be having a heart attack but that's exactly what you're aiming for. Right?"

Mona scowled at me, flipping me off as she rushed to the nearest salesperson to ask them to get her the sparkly dress in their smallest size. Five minutes later and she was looking hotter than a Victoria Secret model, jumping up and down in the tightest, short-sleeved dress known to man. To be honest, it was modest in Mona's eyes considering the fact that it had sleeves however it came to an abrupt end just below her ass, giving way to her incredibly tanned legs. The backless part was just a plus for her.

"That's it, I'm sorted," She squealed, clapping her hands with excitement. "Can we go pay now? It's only two hundred bucks."

"Only?" I scoffed. "Mine is one hundred and I'm gonna have to close my eyes when I swipe my card to pay for it."

Her gaze lowered to the lacy, short cream dress in my hand and she quirked an eyebrow.

"You dress looks like a million bucks," Mona waggled her eyebrows. "Though Tyler will only be interested in what it'll look like on the floor when you both do the humpty hump on prom night."