Chapter 62: You Don't Belong Here

[A/N: Please vote, comment and fan. I'll announce the name of the next chapter on my status. Enjoy this thought-provoking chapter. Song for the chapter:
- Gabrielle Aplin // The Power Of Love]

Everything is white - a blinding white that leaves me no choice but to shield my eyes. I feel like I've been walking for miles, but my bare feet are not throbbing or aching. Instead, they are light, barely touching the smooth white floor as I graze along.

I do not know where I am or where I am heading but my instincts tell me to keep walking, so I do. I do not know how long I have been in this state, trapped in this blindingly white expanse, in this perpetual room that continues on forever.

Has it been days, weeks, months, years?

I should be frantic, screaming for help because the last memory I have locked up in my mind reveals Tyler's limp body, my charred back and my blood-curdling screams.

But I'm eerily calm, placing one foot before the other, like I'm effortlessly gliding along a tightrope.

There is no other person here so it should be silent but a soft, rustling wind blows through my long curls, pushing them over my shoulders until they hang loosely around my waist. I have no recollection where this wind is coming from but it feels good when it brushes along my bare arms and makes my hospital gown cling to my body.

I keep walking, unaware for how long because time has no place here.

"Neither do you."

Initially, I am confused by the new voice. It comes from every angle, closing in on me until I spin around, startled that I'm no longer alone. Surprise courses through me and it's the first emotion I have felt in a long time besides calmness. My eyes skirt my surroundings and I whirl around in a tight circle twice.

The voice didn't come from me, it can't have. It suffocates me until I'm rigid and for the first time since being here, I feel discomfort.

The familiarity of the voice prickles my skin. It's light, soft and carries a silvery essence that sends me reeling back. I stagger backwards and stumble over my feet, landing on my bottom and wincing due to instinct because I do not feel any pain; there is no such thing here.

"Ashley," The voice says, this time it comes from one point ahead of me.

Suddenly, sea-green eyes materialise in front of me and I hold my breath when a figure with a shock of blonde hair steps towards me. The hair doesn't end around the person's ears; it billows around their waist, long and golden like a river gleaming in the morning sun.

"Taylor?" I stammer, unable to comprehend the presence of the girl that holds a hand out to me.

Taking her hand, I feel her smooth palms clasp mine but there isn't a trace of warmth emanating from them. She hauls me up and I take the time to notice that she looks the exactly the way she did before her diagnosis, before she pushed me away and stopped talking to me.

Unaware that my thoughts echo around us, I frown because she can hear everything I'm thinking and her easy smile falters.

"You can change my appearance if you want," She looks at me but I struggle to understand. "This is your mind after all."

Taylor turns her head forward and we continue to walk.

"Where are we?" I blurt out, squeezing her hand. "I'm not dead, am I?"

Her silvery laughter lingers for a few moments before she shakes her head.

"No, not yet."

My insides knot together and I'm even more confused, so I wait. I wait for her to elaborate but she doesn't. Instead her thumb traces circles along my hand and I catch myself smiling because it's a trait that belongs to her brother. Realising that she can hear my every thought, I clamp a hand over my mouth and shoot her a sideways glance, unnerved to find that she's already looking at me.