Chapter 44: Wasn't It Obvious?

[A/N: Song for this chapter:
- He Is We // Fall
- The Latency // Still In Love With You
- Britt Nicole // Safe
- Panic! At The Disco - End Of All Things
]

Michelle was in a particularly foul mood since Dylan had skipped class with a bunch of other soccer players to squeeze in extra practice for their upcoming match. Her gaze had been following me around the classroom since the start of our double period, burning a hole through my head even when I returned to my desk to check my phone for any texts. I was beyond bored and Tyler was baking me another one of his special surprise cakes.

I met her dark eyes once again and narrowed my eyes just a fraction. Her lips tugged down into malicious frown that made my nerve endings freeze and I felt the sudden urge to just throttle her. I couldn't understand why she kept shooting me filthy looks when I hadn't ever done anything to her since our bathroom encounter a month ago.

Racking my brains for the years I had known her, all I could bring up were memories of her cold-shoulder when she spent all middle school trying to befriend Taylor. At first my best friend was flattered by the attention but eventually she saw right through her like an x-ray machine but that didn't matter to Michelle. I mean, she did get what she wanted in the end.

She got Tyler.

When her eyes slide to my partner, I followed them and was surprised to see him send me a secret smile from the worktop. Instinctively, my lips curled up into a goofy grin and I almost missed the strangest expression fleet across Michelle's face before she averted her gaze, scowling deeply.

Now that my focus was entirely on the blond guy looking at me with the widest dimpled smile, I brought a hand to my cheek and wasn't surprised to feel the blistering heat emanating from my skin. Trudging towards our work station at the back of the class, I prodded a finger against his back to get his attention.

"What was the smile for?" I asked as a floppy grin played upon his lips. He shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly but failed to mask the excitement in his voice.

"You'll see munchkin."

Uninvited impatience clouded my mind but I bit it away by reminding myself that it would crush Tyler if I tried to ruin his surprise.

"Just don't add any nuts Ty, you know they make me sick." I frowned slightly as I tried to peer over his back to see what mischief he was setting me up for.

"Did you just say you love my nuts?" Tyler's feigned whisper was loud enough for half the class to turn around and snicker.

Humiliated, I pinched his biceps to silence him, desperately wanting to disappear and hide from the weight of everybody's gaze.

"Ouch!" He jumped up and snapped his head in my direction to glare at me. "For someone who doesn't believe in violence, you sure are violent."

With raised eyebrows, I lifted my fingers to his arm again, pinching them like pincers. Tyler edged away from me when he realised that the pain would be far worse this time.

"Ash!" He whined, grabbing my raised hand and pushing it down to my side. I tried to ignore the sudden jolts I got when his thumb brushed my wrist.

"Tyler!" I mimicked his voice, biting back a hysterical giggle when his bottom lip jutted out in defiance.

His pout dissolved into a smile as he bit his lip. When I realised that he was trying not to laugh at my voice, I mirrored his infectious grin.

"So are you going to tell me what you're making?" I nudged my hip with his, trying to push him to the side so that I could catch a glimpse of what he was doing.