Chapter Three

So here is the next chapter of my new Fanfiction!!

Sophie gestured for her friends to follow her downstairs and outside. As soon as Biana crossed the landing, she slammed the door and said, "Come on, guys! Let's play some Base Quest! Boys vs girls?"

"Let's see." Fitz counted up all of the boys. "Me, Tam, and Keefe. OK. Now the girls. Sophie, Biana, Linh. Fine, let's play boys vs girls, and let the best team win!"

Biana yelled, "You guys are SO questing first!"

Keefe sighed. "How is she always in charge? Little Miss Vacker seems to be a bit bossy today, you know? But oh, well. Guess that's how it's always been. I feel bad for the guy she's going to marry." Biana blushed. Everyone except for Keefe himself knew that Biana had a megacrush on Keefe, and to hear him say that, especially in front of her friends, made Biana feel like melting. Sophie walked over, and patted Biana on the back. She whispered,

"Don't mind him. He's just trying to be noticed. He definitely likes you. He just is trying to get your attention. Act like you don't see him."

Biana turned to Sophie. "You think? You're just lying to me. He thinks I am his little sister, and what else could I ever be? I don't know, but Keefe is literally making me so angry right now. I wish I could just tell him...but no. That would be terrible! But if he isn't on my Matchmaker's Scroll, I will literally kill the Council."

"And why is that?" Biana and Sophie spun around and Biana literally fainted.

All twelve Councillors were there, in Sophie's house. Councillor Bronte was smiling faintly, but the rest of the Councillors were glaring with looks that could kill. Sophie felt like mimicking Biana, but she decided against it. This was her time to be strong. Sophie was proud when her voice didn't waver as she said,

"What are you doing here?"

Councillor Emery said, "We are here just to watch over you. As you may know, all of you, even Biana Vacker and Dex Dizznee, the youngest of you all, are now eligible for Matchmaker's Scrolls. We have decided to lower the age limit to fifteen for only you. This is a privilege and we expect you to treat it like one. The boys have graciously decided to wait for theirs until all of you were ready. I suspect a few crushes here and there among this group." Sophie and Biana flushed, and looked down at the ground. Councillor Emery continued.

"Now, we are here to monitor what you are all doing. What are you like? You guys aren't normal elves, so that is why we must take special considerations, and must look into the choosing of your scrolls much more carefully. Instead of the Matchmakers choosing your matches for you all, we will. This is an entirely different process, and instead of a hundred elves on each scroll, you will only get fifty, and instead of being able to apply for five scrolls, you will only be able to apply for one more after your first scroll."

Biana rose. "WHAT? How can you do this to us? To me?! I needed that Scroll! All five of them. I have been waiting my whole life for this! You can't ruin it like this!"

Councillor Terik cut in. "We can and we will, Miss Vacker. Your world is changing, and it isn't for the better, so we need to look at your possible matches amongst your friends first before we move on. We want these matches to be close to the other, and they need to be personal. But don't worry about a thing. Carry on with your... game." Councillor Terik gave them all a rather withering look.

Sophie wanted to yell at the Council, but she knew it would be in vain. If Councillor Terik was against her, then she was no match for all twelve of them.

Fitz said, "Gotcha! What are you—" He saw the Councillors. "What are they doing here?"

Bronte sighed. "Do we really need to explain it all again?"

Sophie cut in. "I'll do it. The better way." She turned to the boys, who had all arrived at the courtyard. "They are choosing our matches for us, and instead of five hundred choices, we only get one hundred. And we get fifty matches per scroll. They're here to observe what our relationships are to one another." She blushed. "They are going to try to match us up with each other."

Councillor Oralie cut in. "And we'll do a good job, I promise you."

Sophie retorted, "Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about that."

Fitz said, "Does that mean that we will be paired up together? Or will we get any other choices?"

Sophie thought, Does he want other choices? Oh of course he does! He will never notice me! I'm just a friend.

Fitz said hastily, "Wait, don't feel bad, guys. You know that I like you all. In a friendly way." Wow.

Keefe said, "Well, you know I love you all. And not in a friendly way." Biana's face lit up and looked hopeful, but instantly dampened as Keefe turned to Sophie and said, "Especially Foster."

Fitz looked angry for some reason, but probably because of his sister's being rejected by his best friend. Sophie refused to let herself think otherwise. And she couldn't stop thinking about Fitz's words. He's putting me in the friend zone?!?!?!?!

Fitz's transmitting slipped into Sophie's brain. You think we should do some Cognate training? Let's do the secrets thing that Tiergan showed us a while ago. It should help build some trust. And then you can just tell me that secret that you've been hiding from me this whole time. Sophie blushed and a sweat broke out on her forehead. So it still scares you, huh? Don't think I haven't forgotten about it, though. You have to tell me sometime. Why not now? We need to get away from the Councillors. They are freaky.

"Hey, no secret conversations with Foster without moi, Wonderboy." Keefe interjected. Fitz gritted his teeth and said,

"Me and Foster are going to do some Cognate training, in secret."

Keefe looked miffed. "Is that a double meaning?" He put his hand over his heart and pretended to be dead. "Why can't I know all of Foster's secrets too?"

Sophie said, "Because you aren't a Telepath, so sucks for you. Now, let me and Fitz get some Cognate training done. Well, as much as we can when the whole Council is watching us."

Sophie and Fitz walked over to a dark corner of the garden. Sophie took a deep breath and said, "You know what? Let's do this! I'll do it!"

Fitz looked surprised. "You will? You don't have to now if you don't want to."

Sophie said, "Well, I have to sometime. Why not now?"

So there is the next chapter! Hard to understand, but it will make more sense as the next chapter is published.

Please leave a kind review, or at least CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Thanks so much!