Chapter Fifteen

Sophie and Fitz stood awestruck and shocked as Keefe slammed the door. Fitz had never seen Keefe cry before, and Sophie couldn't believe he had done it again... over a GIRL.

It was so un-Keefe-like.

Then again, everyone was getting to those times where you were getting matched up with other people for life. And Keefe was all alone while all of his friends were paired up. Sophie could understand how he felt and felt bad for him, but what could she do?

Well...

She could always be with him. She could.

It would make life a lot easier. Being with a Vacker would cause an uproar throughout her family and basically the whole elven world. Fitz Vacker was the Golden Boy, destined to marry some noble girl who knew how to curtsy and behave herself. She knew that people would disagree with her marriage and she would be followed around and hated.

But being with Keefe. He was a part of a strong family, and he was definitely popular. She would actually be a good fit with him, contrary to her previous biased beliefs. She had to face the facts.

But she was with Fitz. She couldn't let him or herself down, not when she was so close and everything was already decided. And besides, she was in love with him. Always had been and always would be. And now, finally, after all these years, he said he loved her back. Being with Keefe would make sense. But it would change her life and her friends' lives and her family's lives.

Sophie took a deep breath and started to run after Keefe. She needed to know if he would even accept her in the first place. But before she could get out the door, Fitz caught her up and pulled her into a hug. It was unexpected and random, but it was sweet and Sophie instantly forgot about Keefe as she stood there in his arms.

All of a sudden, Sophie knew she couldn't leave Fitz, no matter how much she really wanted to. No matter how hard it would be.

Fitz pulled out of the hug too soon. He looked at Sophie. "Were you having second thoughts already?" He smiled a little but confusion and pain warred on his features. Sophie sighed, not sure what to say.

He looked okay, but his face showed no emotion and Sophie couldn't decide how he felt. "No! I was just going to go see him and... talk to him?"

Her outburst was met with a weird face from Fitz. "Really? Soph, it's okay to be undecided." He looked guilty, like he was the one who was having second thoughts.

Sophie took that in. "Wait, are you having second thoughts about me?"

He looked innocent enough. "NO! Why would you think that! I really like you, Sophie, kay? You've got to believe that."

Sophie sighed. "With you, I can't even tell if that's real or not." Fitz looked offended.

"Sophie, listen to me. Sophie." She looked at him. "I will never pick anyone other than you, okay? I am being completely honest. No matter how incredibly stupid or cheesy this sounds, I know you are the only girl for me." All of a sudden, his shoulders tensed and Sophie's heart raced. He was... no. He was going to kiss her! She had never been kissed before and she had to admit she was scared. Being sixteen was supposed to make her meet new adventures head-on, but she wasn't ready yet. But he looked intense and she decided that she was going to have to be brave. She had fought off the Neverseen. She could handle a simple kiss.

Right?

He met her eyes and pulled away. "Are you scared? Sophie, if you don't want to do this, if you don't want to be with me..." He looked away, his voice trailing off.

Sophie shook her head, exclaiming, "Fitz, I love you, okay?" She blushed at the bluntness of her words and even Fitz looked surprised at her proclamation.

"Wow. Sophie, I love you too. Don't ever forget that. You can tell me anything. I will always support you and everything. I will be the perfect guy for you." All of a sudden, in one swift movement, he pulled her into his chest and his forehead bumped hers and then his lips were on hers and it was soft and pillowy and not at all what Sophie thought it was going to be because it was not intense at all and it instead felt amazing and Sophie's skin felt warm right there and there and at the bottom of her feet and she was going to explode of wonder and life was beautiful and perfect and who cared about Keefe anyway, not when she had Fitz...

Sophie's thoughts ran rampant as he pressed his lips onto hers. It was gentle and soft and wasn't anything like she thought it would be. All of a sudden, she needed more and she pressed harder against him and he pressed harder against her and then they were flying in a dreamland where the clouds were PINK literally, and there was rainbows and life was just freaking amazing.

Finally, Fitz pulled away, out of breath and looking wild. His eyes were dilated and his hair was tousled. Had she done that? Sophie was ashamed at how fast she had gone. Maybe he had only wanted a peck or something. What was she supposed to do? She hung her head, staring at her feet, which still tingled.

All of a sudden, she couldn't handle the overwhelming waves of guilt and embarrassment and shame at God-knows-what and in a swift movement, she let go of Fitz. She turned and ran out of the room, ignoring Fitz's calls after her. She slammed into Biana and pulled her up to her room. She slammed the door and jumped onto the bed, where Biana was looking completely confused and even a little angry.

"Um, excuse me? What are you doing? Tam was just going to..."

"Shut up. You need to help me." Sophie's voice was urgent and Biana's forehead wrinkled. She sat down next to Sophie.

"What happened?"

Sophie decided that there was only one way to say it. "I think I might've damaged my relationship with your brother." Biana gasped, her hands reaching to cover her mouth.

"Oh no. What happened? I swear to God I'll murder him if he did anything to—"

Sophie cut Biana off. "No that's not it at all." She took a deep breath. "Have you ever kissed a guy before today?"

Biana's eyes went wide. "YOU KISSED HIM?" She shrieked. "Wow. I did not expect that." Sophie blushed. Biana went on. "Well, yeah, I've kissed a guy. I've kissed Keefe and once at a homecoming dance with—" She stopped. "Right. I'm focused again."

Sophie said, "Yeah. So what did you do? How did it feel?"

Biana asked uncertainly, "Why?"

Sophie saw Biana's face. "Never mind, okay? Just tell me how it felt. Like... Just what did you do after it was over?" She was sure her voice and face betrayed everything.

Sure enough, Biana shrieked, "WHAT DID YOU DO?"

Biana was going to be no help if she kept answering Sophie's questions with questions. Sophie sighed. "I kinda ran away from him?"

Biana groaned, covering her face with her hands and facepalming. "Well, you have to go down there and apologize!"

Sophie hid her face. "No! I can't face him ever again! I was horrible. I didn't know what to do and I was scared and everything was happened too fast and I just had to get out of there and... I love him too much!"

"And he loves you too, so all is well, okay?" Biana patted her friend on her back, though she was still shaking her head at Sophie's stupidity. Biana got up and left the room. Sophie sighed.

Better now than never.